• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DMs] Do you enjoy your prep time from one session to the next?

Do you enjoy your prep time from one session to the next?

• Yes

Votes: 114 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 16.2%

RFisher

Explorer
I used to stress over prepping. I probably stessed more over the fact that I never prepped as much as I thought I should.

Then, I started to realize that things actually tended to go better when I was winging it. So, I tried to embrace that. I stopped worrying that I hadn't prepped enough. I tried to keep my prepping short & focused on the most important things.

I've been a lot happier since.

(Obligatory: YMMV)

I like prepping the setting and the session more than I do actual game play. Both are incredible fun, but the real meat and potatoes for me is the former.

Rhuvein

First Post
Yes

I definitely enjoy prep time, it's very rewarding and challenging. And of course, that's when I get to become very creative. I also like the afterwards time, to review, write and see how to improve my DM'ing and the game itself. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
There was a time recently when I was prepping Torrents of Dread (from Dungeon Magazine), and because the PCs were about four levels higher than it was written for, I was rewriting monster stats.

This took a couple of hours.

Strange thing: it was great fun to do. To see what the "base" monster was and then what it had become after it gained a few levels.

Mostly, I don't spend that much time prepping for sessions. One NPC, a couple of minions, possibly a map, and some treasure rolls - the elements which I use to run the adventure for my players. I try not to overprepare, as the game works well when the players can go in directions that surprise me.

Cheers!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I love it. The hard part is not cackling madly and rubbing my hands together when a plot starts to coalesce in my imagination.

00Machado

First Post
Emirikol said:
I don't mind prep time, but I wish there was less. I like to game, not have to work too hard. jh

I feel similarly. The most enjoyable prep is unrushed. Planning to start a campaign or a one off is different than having to come up with something when you have a group of eager players and no idea or time for the week. I tend to find that I return to it because I enjoy the potential of the sessions and campaigns, and then reach burnout after a time. Then repeat the cycle. Depending on where I am in that cycle, prep feels somewhere in the range of fun and relaxing (get to do it), to harried and stressful (have to do it).

der_kluge

Adventurer
Other -

What prep time? I barely prep (if I prep at all) between sessions. I just adlib stuff if the PCs go somewhere I don't expect.

I'm running the best game of my life right now. Very fast pace, very free-form.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Depends on how much I'm enjoying my game. At first, it's always fun, but there tends to be an annoying player or character that just kinda ruins it for me and DMing becomes more of a pain and I enjoy preparation less and less.

I do enjoy making/modifying NPCs and monsters though and coming up with interesting tactics to use in battles.

Remove ads