• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DMs] Do you enjoy your prep time from one session to the next?

Do you enjoy your prep time from one session to the next?

• Yes

Votes: 114 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 22 16.2%

KB9JMQ

First Post
Yes I love doing prep work, but it is work.
I am actually trying to wing more of it and do less prepping.
I found that I was doing things like picking a monster then writing it down verbatim then only change one thing or two when it is actually easier/faster to just us it out of the book and make the change on the fly.
Transferring things from books to notebooks/index cards is/was taking up more of my prep time than coming up with cool story ideas which I feel is a bit more important.

Ghostwind

First Post
Right now, no. I'm trying really hard to get into this campaign I am running for a beginner's group (Eberron) but I just can't wrap my mind around the setting and to make it fun. Gonna be one heck of a challenge.

Mercule

Adventurer
Yes and no. I've discovered that I love the worldbuilding aspect of DMing, and rather enjoy tweaking modules. I've also discovered that I really dislike creating my own adventures from scratch.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Mercule said:
Yes and no. I've discovered that I love the worldbuilding aspect of DMing, and rather enjoy tweaking modules. I've also discovered that I really dislike creating my own adventures from scratch.
That's funny - I'm absolutely the reverse. I have trouble creating world-building elements that aren't going to be immediately used. On the other hand, being able to create new adventures is what energizes me as a DM.

the Jester said:
Absolutely! I spend tons of time on game prep, world building and so forth, and I love to do it.
If world building counts as prep, I'm going to have to change my vote on the "how long do you spend preparing" thread.

Most of my world building is donefor its own sake, in areas the PCs have no reason to visit.

Remove ads