• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's forfeit power

i love having tons of rules too. Actually i say in all seriousness that having so many rules the players will never look into them all gives me alot of power as a DM. I can rule something and they cant argue or arent in the mood or in a position to look into it.

More rules means a more complete game. Rules lite means lazy designers.

Treebore

First Post
Arashi Ravenblade said:
i love having tons of rules too. Actually i say in all seriousness that having so many rules the players will never look into them all gives me alot of power as a DM. I can rule something and they cant argue or arent in the mood or in a position to look into it.

More rules means a more complete game. Rules lite means lazy designers.

I don't agree with the lazy designers meaning. I've played some very good rules lite systems over the years and they played great. Just requires a "game master" who is competent and consistant in the needed "judgement calls".

Detailed systems are for helping game masters become competent and consistant.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The number one problem with planning a character's 1-20 path is this: you're assuming the character will *have* a 1-20 path; if you can safely make that assumption, your DM is being way too easy on the PC's. Me, I'll plan for maybe a 1-3 path, and see if I last that long...

Lanefan

Henry

Autoexreginated
Lanefan, I hope you don't mind if I borrowed you post as my .sig for a while. I needed a new .sig for september and your post kind of resonated with me. :)

pogre

Legend
Umbran said:
It occurs to me that the simplest fix for prestige classes is to go ahead and have them, but don't allow the players to know which ones are available until they are encountered in game. The players may know of guilds of assassins, or various knightly orders, but if they don't know the mechanics until they learn about them in-game, they can't plan ahead.

Exactly what I do. It works well. I guess I don't mind some players planning out their character - it brings them enjoyment. Many of my players just go with the flow and develop their character as the game progresses - it brings them enjoyment. I do not see it as a 3.x problem. My players have historically been very much conscientious about doing their part to make the game fun for everyone - including me (the DM).

Remove ads