D&D 5E DMs of EN World: How do YOU assign HP to monsters?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Unique (named) foes MAX.

In a pack of beasts, goblins, etc., usually pick 1 for MAX hp as the de facto leader.

Ultimately, I'll wing it. If the party is larger (5+), will probably use above average HP (aka 75%). But really, I don't put a lot of thought into it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
For named enemies, I'll often give them max hp. Or average + 50%. Especially if their hit dice don't mesh with their narrative role in the encounter.

For typical enemies or random encounters, I just take the average.

As for adjusting on the fly - sure. Usually in the players' favor though. Once they take out the major enemies if there are any mooks lying around I'll usually let them go down on their next solid hit. I typically don't adjust points upward unless I realize I've made a mistake setting up the encounter (like the time when I was running a 4th edition fight where the big bad guy I'd worked up had 200 fewer hp than he was supposed to and I didn't realize it until he started taking hits...)

Last edited:

hawkeyefan

Legend
I really vary it up depending on the situation, the enemies involved, and what I’m hoping to get with the encounter. I generally try not to adjust on the fly, but I will if the situation calls for it (ie I was planning on a difficult battle and it’s going too quick, or an easy battle that’s going too long). I roll in the open and I track HP openly, but I tally damage dealt to a creature rather than HP lost so anyone looking at the figures won’t know how mu h the enemy has left.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Depends on their story purpose.
BBEG gets max HP
Anything that is supposed to be a major combatant or a critical point in the story gets max HP
Most creatures get average HP
Sometimes I roll HP for everybody during pre-game prep
Creatures that are supposed to be cannon fodder get minimum HP; the PCs probably take them down easily but sometimes even heroes just miff a swing.
I still use 4e Minions (1 HP) - when the purpose of the combat is for the PCs to show off their might and power.

DeanP

Explorer
If I want the PCs feeling they're carving up their foes with cinematic coolness, I assign lower HP. In random encounters, I'll go with the MM average. If I want to distinguish a particular foe, I'll go with max hitpoints. The only time I roll, is when I'm going for an "old school" module feel; generally some sort of dungeon crawl or wilderness sandbox and I've the time for the leisurely design.

I still use 4e Minions (1 HP) - when the purpose of the combat is for the PCs to show off their might and power.

Something about using 1HP minions bothers me, but I can’t quite put my finger on the reason. Maybe it’s because I went from AD&D direct to 5e (with some time off in between). 4e was never a thing for me. I guess I’d consider using minimum HP according to the stat block for minions.

EDIT: Then again for a Kobold that would really be 1HP and for a Goblin that would be 2HP and for a Hobgoblin that would be 4HP - which are virtually all the same when pitted against an 8th level party... ok I’m warming up to the idea of 1HP minions... lol

Satyrn

First Post
EDIT: Then again for a Kobold that would really be 1HP and for a Goblin that would be 2HP and for a Hobgoblin that would be 4HP - which are virtually all the same when pitted against an 8th level party... ok I’m warming up to the idea of 1HP minions... lol
That practical lack of difference between 1 hp and 4 hp is a major factor that drives me to not bother using anything other average HP for monsters.

I mean, I just don't see enough gain to give HobgoblinA 12 hp while HobgoblinB has 16.

Satyrn

First Post
And while I liked minions in 4th I don't find the need to use them 4e style in 5e.

A hobgoblin with its 11 hp works well enough with bounded accuracy (and I try to never give out magic items that boost AC so those hobgoblins can still get a chance to hit)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I used to roll but eventually concluded it's faster and gives very similar results if I just assign within the available range. Once the h.p. are assigned they're locked in, however; none of this changing them on the fly mid-combat based on how things are going as I kinda see that as cheating.

A hobgoblin with its 11 hp works well enough with bounded accuracy (and I try to never give out magic items that boost AC so those hobgoblins can still get a chance to hit)
And this points to a much more effective means of making monsters tougher/easier than the norm: adjust their AC.

The odds of a 11 h.p. Hobgoblin lasting a few rounds increase greatly if it's clad in plate mail and shield, even more so if it's got some Dex to add in.

And this is what I do far more often than just piling on h.p. if I want a foe - particularly a boss - to put up a decent fight: I'll make it hard to hit. Beyond very low level play I might also give it some (though not full) magic resistance, to make it harder for the casters to just stand back and pew-pew it to death or take it out with one lucky spell.

On the flip side, making a supposedly-tough opponent easier to hit by reducing its AC can bring some opponents within range of a party that otherwise would be quite outclassed.

Lan-"and from the PC side I've learned - somewhat reluctantly - that good defense is often more effective than good offense"-efan

Satyrn

First Post
Lan-"and from the PC side I've learned - somewhat reluctantly - that good defense is often more effective than good offense"-efan

. . . I wonder if, taking a cue from AD&D, capping AC at 20 would improve the game. Well, as a 6e sort of idea.

Remove ads