• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's Toolkit Program--NOW AVAILABLE!

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
TheFool1972 said:
I forget, why are we using email addys instead of just dumping it on a webpage?

Because Mr. Scott Rouse basically said that it shouldn't be made freely available until we can clear it with the GSL or there may be serious repercussions. We have a site all ready to go the instant the GSL hits the intarwebs, so it'll be available as soon as we determine that we've done everything we need to and/or made any changes.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
If I was messing around with the class editor, which we know is impossible since I was so emphatically refused, I would comment on how accessible everything was as well as my only confusion being the level and numbers section under the powers tab. On the monk sample it says zero even though their is definitely powers entered.

mlooney

First Post
Eldritch_Lord said:
So that's two more that I adamantly refuse to provide with the beta version. Anyone else?

Right. And I really don't want a copy at j.michael.looney at gmail.com either.

Nope, don't want it, not at all. Not like even SOON or any thing.

Wurm1234

Explorer
Eldritch_Lord said:
If, hypothetically, several people here were to mysteriously discover a Toolkit lying around, they should hypothetically be testing it. I would, entirely hypothetically, be upset that I have not (hypothetically) received any feedback from these people yet.

Hypothetically.

If, very hypothetically, one were messing around with such a program, one might mention that the program is very stable for a beta, but the user interface is a bit obtuse. One might easily chalk that up to it being beta, of course. By obtuse I mean that, for example, flavor text for a power or class or whatever is a single line of text that disappears when it is being typed as it gets longer than the box. If I was playing with it, I really like to be able to resize the data entry screens. Rollover tool tips about what type of information should be included in the various data entry boxes would be helpful.

Just a couple of quick bits of hypothetical feedback.

Idabrius

First Post
As far as hypothetical feedback goes, I would have to say that if such a program were ever to HAPPEN into my hands, I would explore it up and down.

Now, I can imagine that when saving individual files for use with said hypothetical program it might grow to be a bit bulky. Perhaps there would be a solution floating out there in the sea of possibility, like a packaging utility that would allow for output as a mass data file? Just a thought based on absolutely no observation.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
RandomCitizenX said:
If I was messing around with the class editor, which we know is impossible since I was so emphatically refused, I would comment on how accessible everything was as well as my only confusion being the level and numbers section under the powers tab. On the monk sample it says zero even though their is definitely powers entered.

Funny you should mention a powers tab with numbers on it; how did you know there was one of those in the program? I'll definitely have to make sure the loading process is working correctly before we release this.

Wurm1234 said:
By obtuse I mean that, for example, flavor text for a power or class or whatever is a single line of text that disappears when it is being typed as it gets longer than the box. If I was playing with it, I really like to be able to resize the data entry screens. Rollover tool tips about what type of information should be included in the various data entry boxes would be helpful.

One might also mention that there is a button next to each field, and that if one clicks the button next to each field, a pop-up box with a much bigger area for text appears for your text-entering convenience.

One might also note that a comprehensive set of instructions will be released when all of the Creators are done, but that at the moment final exams and such have prevented me from providing one.

Idabrius said:
Now, I can imagine that when saving individual files for use with said hypothetical program it might grow to be a bit bulky. Perhaps there would be a solution floating out there in the sea of possibility, like a packaging utility that would allow for output as a mass data file? Just a thought based on absolutely no observation.

I can imagine that files are only on the order of a few dozen KB with tons of stuff in them (classes with powers, for instance) and that saving them should not be an issue, but that I would consider that to be a feature request that may get worked on soon.

Idabrius

First Post
I did not imagine these mysterious files would be bulky SIZE wise, but rather unwieldy to locate and track. A single data-export data-load for, say, a setting or rules-group might facilitate in not having to hunt for "Dragonborn_feats_SettingName" or somesuch.

Halivar

First Post
Hey! I see you've written it in Java. I'm a C# coder by day, but back in the days of yore I made a living as a Java developer.

I also spent a few years as software QA, and I'm told I'm pretty good at breaking things. I don't know how closed the beta is, but if I can help, I would love to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads