• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs:What are your favorite levels to DM?

What levels do you prefer to DM?

• Low levels:1-5

Votes: 41 21.7%
  • Mid levels:6-11

Votes: 108 57.1%
  • High levels:12-15

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • Very high levels:16-20

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Epic levels:21+

Votes: 5 2.6%

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Okay, what are your favorite levels to DM. I personally like Mid levels the best. I have never run a high level game, and at low levels I am afraid I will accidentally kill them all. At mid levels I feel like I have more options, and so do the players. I just have more fun with them.

For the poll, I used the description of levels from the DMG. I also put in epic levels as well.

Last edited:

Altalazar

First Post
I like to DM all levels - preferrably on a continuim for a party from 1st up through as far as they can take it.

It is fun to watch the characters and personalities evolve over time. It is fun to see how much the players improve in tactics and abilities. It really gives a strong sense of continuity to an overall story.

the Jester

Legend
I too like to dm all levels... I am currently dming my first epic campaign (they worked their way up from 1st level and in some cases 2e!) and it's the most fun I've ever had with a dnd game.

Christ, they just beat my epic-level conversion of Return to the Tomb of Horrors.

Arnwyn

First Post
Like the Jester, I do like to DM all levels - but if I had to pick one range, it would be 12 - 15. At those levels I can include traps, monsters, and plots that are more interesting than previous levels, but doesn't become a pain to DM (all personal experiene here) - the PCs can actually do something at those levels!

LordHavok

First Post
Have to agree with Altalazar. I personally enjoy watching the PC's evolve, build up a great history for themselves. I believe that the PC's will appreciate their characters alot more. I know when I played I've had both characters that I started at 1st level, and managed to keep for a long time and characters that started at mid to higher levels and kept for awhile. I certainly appreciated the former characters more. I built them up and they meant alot more to me. I know it's great to have powerful or at least higher level characters so you can do more, but half the fun is earning those levels. But this is one mere humble opinion...we all know about those huh.. :D

Qualir

First Post
I have to say 6-11.

Most characters have not found their stride at low levels, and players are just as afraid of dying as I am of killing them by accident.

Mid levels allow access to great spells and abilities. Mid level characters tend to have established their identities. Most of the cool monsters are made for mid level.

High and epic level characters have way too much stuff to try and remember. I always underestimate or overestimate them.

Wombat

First Post
I kinda span between two ranges -- I prefer starting characters at 3rd level and somewhere around 10th level I tend to lose interest in the game.

Asmo

First Post
I voted low level: 1-5.
I´m pretty new at this, I´ve only managed to run 2 adventures: Sunless Citadel and Forge Of Fury wich was incredible funny for me, and I belive for the players as well. I´m preparing Speaker in Dreams and it looks really cool.

Asmo

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads