DMs - What rolls do you make for your players?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I think I might try out a new variant on initiative, too. The lag from announcing the encounter to actually getting into the encounter has always bugged me, too.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Mark CMG said:
I think I might try out a new variant on initiative, too. The lag from announcing the encounter to actually getting into the encounter has always bugged me, too.

You mind letting us in on what you may do?

Holy Bovine

First Post
Mark CMG said:

Heh. When i call out 'Roll for Initiative' the players know to have their score ready! otherwise to the bottom of the stack they go (they must have been 'delaying' if they weren't ready right? :] ). I use index cards with vital player & monster stats on them. Cuts down the time looking in books that's for sure.

I rarely, if ever, make rolls for PCs. I occasionally make them roll and don't tell them the results (although they always ask). I figured if you missed the DC 20 Spot check to see the path to the orc camp then you missed it - no XP or treasure for you!

As a player i don't know how I would react to a DM making my rolls for me. Assuming it was announced (ie "I'm making Spot check for you all"). The DM could roll behind a screen until the cows come home and i wouldn't be any wiser.

Remove ads