• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD books (not settings) of older editions that are useful regardless of edition!

Green1

First Post
Even though in today's day, there are books which are, in my opinion, excellent resources for a 5e DM.

These are the ones I STILL look at from time to time. Not for rules that are obsolete. But for inspiration!

I will add stuff as it is brought up after review

4e

Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons and others.
Of all editions, the 4e Draconomicon I believe is the best version. Everything from regional aftereffects if an ancient baddie dies to lair ideas. Only thing is, no gem dragons.

3e/3.5

Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
THE book if you have characters building strongholds, cities, and other structures. A must for higher level games.

Hero Builder's Guidebook
For the backstory geeks among us, the best assist for creating a family history, both current and ancestral, that I know of.

2e and earlier

Wilderness Survival Guide and Dungeoneer's Survival Guide
These two books are masters in the class of running great outdoor campaigns.

World Builder's Guide
At a certain point, as a DM you transcend beyond just making sessions and trying to keep the rules straight/people happy. If you find yourself running a long campaign and want/need to create a world, this is for you.

1e Dungeon Master's Guide
Not only for old school cred. More resources and advice than you can shake a stick at, and though some of that advice is very dated (being oriented around an approach to RPG's that is simply not used anymore - or at least not understood) a LOT of it is still better than anything that's been published since.

Any others I am missing?

Last edited:

Advanced Dungeon & Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide (1st Edition)
More resources and advice than you can shake a stick at, and though some of that advice is very dated (being oriented around an approach to RPG's that is simply not used anymore - or at least not understood) a LOT of it is still better than anything that's been published since.

Green1

First Post
I always loved the 2e World Builder's Guide. Wish I still had a copy.

Perused a pdf of the book. This would be awesome to keep on the shelf.

At a certain point, as a DM you transcend beyond just making sessions and trying to keep the rules straight/people happy. If you find yourself running a long campaign and want/need to create a world, this is for you.

Adding.

Green1

First Post
Advanced Dungeon & Dragons Dungeon Masters Guide (1st Edition)
More resources and advice than you can shake a stick at, and though some of that advice is very dated (being oriented around an approach to RPG's that is simply not used anymore - or at least not understood) a LOT of it is still better than anything that's been published since.

Added

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
3E
Hero Builder's Guidebook
For the backstory geeks among us, the best assist for creating a family history, both current and ancestral, that I know of. Kindred in spirit to the 20 Questions in Legend of the Five Rings, except better.
One time, establishing a few details about the wood-elf mother of a Forgotten Realms half-elf PC I was working up one afternoon proved so fascinating that, all of a sudden, it was 2 AM and I had just finished writing a short story about her early life: abducted in her adolescence from eastern Aglarond by hirelings of a Red Wizard, escape from Thay fourteen years before the Tuigan Horde invaded Thesk, and the mystery of her disappearance after arranging for her son's apprenticeship to a sage in Phsant less than a year before the Horde arrived.
Uff da! That was going overboard for what was otherwise a simple bit of genealogical history. For the PC, finding out what had happened to his mother was a life-long drive.
You get the idea. An excellent resource for any edition of the game.

Dorian_Grey

First Post
2nd Edition: Creative Campaigning or any of the other Blue/Green/Brown books

- Even if you don't want kits or other rules, the descriptions are very useful.

2nd Edition: PO: Spells & Magic, Combat & Tactics

- Again, you don't have to use the books for the point buy system - but they are full of details and descriptions that are useful.

Green1

First Post
3E
Hero Builder's Guidebook
For the backstory geeks among us, the best assist for creating a family history, both current and ancestral, that I know of. Kindred in spirit to the 20 Questions in Legend of the Five Rings, except better.
One time, establishing a few details about the wood-elf mother of a Forgotten Realms half-elf PC I was working up one afternoon proved so fascinating that, all of a sudden, it was 2 AM and I had just finished writing a short story about her early life: abducted in her adolescence from eastern Aglarond by hirelings of a Red Wizard, escape from Thay fourteen years before the Tuigan Horde invaded Thesk, and the mystery of her disappearance after arranging for her son's apprenticeship to a sage in Phsant less than a year before the Horde arrived.
Uff da! That was going overboard for what was otherwise a simple bit of genealogical history. For the PC, finding out what had happened to his mother was a life-long drive.
You get the idea. An excellent resource for any edition of the game.

Added

The books I find myself coming back to:

4e: The DMG 2 - It's got some great advice for new and experience DMs.

3e: The Mother of All Treasure Tables - Makes for far more interesting treasure hauls than just gems and coins.

2e: Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog - Great for livening up merchant/bazaar shopping and food & drink details. Also great for when the PCs go off looking for some random item not in the PHB.

Orius

Legend
2e's World Builder's Guidebook definitely belongs on the list. Lots of good advice, and very little if any edition-specific crunch. It also came a pad of hex mapping sheets too, though a DM can probably find good sheets on the web somewhere to print out today.

Aurora's Whole Realms Catalog has always seemed pretty popular too.

The Complete Book of Villains, a 2e DM splat that was mostly all advice and little edition-specific crunch. Lots of good tips for the DM when creating villains and villainous organizations.

Remove ads