• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD Gift set for a Beginner - advise me!

thorgrit

Explorer
The starter set is very useful if someone doesn't know if they and their friends really want to get into D&D or not. It's a cheap turn-key solution (at least compared to other options) to get started. If he already knows he wants to get into D&D and he/you/someone is definitely going to invest in dice, PHB, etc. then the starter set is really only useful as the adventure inside (which I'm told is still good). If he's already into D&D and likely won't play the included adventure, then skip the starter set entirely.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with more dice. Amazon has lots of sets available and in bulk. But as pointed out above, check the delivery date if timing is an issue. Notebook(s), writing instruments, a dice bag if there's not one included with dice already, an assortment of miniatures, all good things.

Keep weight and bulk of items in mind when shopping. If he's going to be hosting the game at his place, then things like extra books, dice towers, etc. are easier to store. If he's going to play elsewhere, might want to hold off on bigger or heavier things, as he's going to have to lug it around to make use of it.

Regarding writing instruments, I tend to lose them long before they break, ink runs dry, or lead runs out, but that's me. I grab the cheapest bulk packs of pens and pencils. If you know his habits of treating things well and holding on to them, that might inform whether you spring for a couple of exceptionally great instruments that'll last 50 years, or a 24-pack of colorful BICs.

If he's going to DM and go with gridded combat and minis, then I'd suggest a vinyl playmat with wet-erase markers (crayola washable markers work great), or Gaming Paper http://gamingpaper.com/

As others have said, the #1 absolute most valuable thing to a gamer, if they don't already have it, is a gaming group. That is, people who can get together at regular times and game. If he doesn't already have that, and you can help with that, then dice, books, etc. is all gravy.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
B2 Keep on the Borderlands and the famous Caves of Chaos can be used as intro adventures: move the caves out of that canyon and into a range of hills, so the PCs can face them one at a time. Let them experience each of the 'standard Monster races'.

aco175

Legend
I would second some minis and a grid of some sort. Maybe you can still get the dungeon tiles over a blank sheet. My son has recently started to get into DnD and likes the minis and started getting into painting them.

Starter Set and extra dice are good if you *think* they’d like the game but are uncertain.

If you *know* they will like the game, the Players Handbook, Monster Manual, and an adventure would do them just as well. If they have an iPad, they can opt for the digital DM Basic rules in place of the MM for running an adventure.

Pokutsa

First Post
Dear friends, thank you so much for your great help! Really much appreciated!
I think I will make a small set: Starter set + dice sets with bags + some paper minis + notebook and pencils. Hope this will be enouth for him at the beginning.

aco175

Legend
My brother keeps his paper minis in a binder using baseball card holder sleeves. This allows him to open the binder and see a few dozen on each page. This may work better than a notebook since you can add tabs for characters, maps, ideas, names and such

Oofta

Legend
My brother keeps his paper minis in a binder using baseball card holder sleeves. This allows him to open the binder and see a few dozen on each page. This may work better than a notebook since you can add tabs for characters, maps, ideas, names and such

I may have to steal that idea. While I generally use minis, there are times when paper minis are just easier or I want a horde of similar monsters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads