• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do 1 on 1 PBeMs work better?

Ry

Explorer
I was wondering if someone could comment on the success they've had with 1 on 1 PBeM / PbP play compared to trying to co-ordinate a whole party. My previous ventures into PbP haven't been successful mostly because they involved 4 to 7 character parties that got bogged down as soon as anything started happening. There's also the problem of one player losing interest or not having the time to post, and causing a bigger delay as a result.

Am I on the right track here?

Insight

Adventurer
I haven't played any solo games, but from playing in (or attempting to play in) a lot of standard PbP games over the years here and elsewhere, I can tell you that the second part of your supposition is unequivocally true. Games with multiple players tend to bog down with two exceptions: a) a GM who pushes the game forward regardless of player interaction (NPCing characters whose players don't post), and b) players who are all on top of things (a rarity).

I'd imagine that solo games are superior by far in that regard, although the dynamic is of course much different. I've always wanted to play in a solo game, but I've never had the opportunity.

Ry

Explorer
Hey Insight, sounds like you and I share common goals.

Want to play in a solo PbP game in the creative commons setting I'm working on?

Insight

Adventurer
Yeah, sure. I'd like to give that a try. Is there a link to this setting somewhere?

DOH. The ol' sig. NM :eek:

Last edited:

Ry

Explorer
Sig updated. Not a lot on Legacies is online yet. Shoot me an e-mail at ryanstoughton (ahem!) hotmail.com and I'll fill you in on the details.

Remove ads