• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do automatic hit abilities kill minions?

Tidus4444

First Post
My friend and I are having this argument: at my table, automatic damage powers (our warlock has a rod that lets him deal 1 damage when he curses an enemy; our DM claims that doesn't kill minions) don't kill minions. He claims this is a house rule, and I'm not sure who is right. Is this part of the core rules?

Herschel

Adventurer
An automatic hit will kill minions, ala standing next to something that got cleaved, etc. A MISS doesn't kill a minion (even if said miss still causes half damage or whatever) is the rule.

That said, house rules are the prerogative of the DM.

keterys

First Post
By the RAW, it kills minions. It's not necessarily a bad thing for the game if automatic damage doesn't kill minions all the time... there are a lot of possible options, all of a house rule type nature, that can work well depending on the group.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My friend and I are having this argument: at my table, automatic damage powers (our warlock has a rod that lets him deal 1 damage when he curses an enemy; our DM claims that doesn't kill minions) don't kill minions. He claims this is a house rule, and I'm not sure who is right. Is this part of the core rules?

Your friend is correct.

DMG pg. 55

Damage from an attack or from a source that doesn’t require an attack roll (such as the paladin’s divine challenge or the fighter’s cleave) destroys a minion.

If a minion has temporary hit points, it also will not die from my understanding. But I could see people debating it.

I disagree.

DMG pg. 55

A minion is destroyed when it takes any amount of damage. Damage from an attack or from a source that doesn’t require an attack roll (such as the paladin’s divine challenge or the fighter’s cleave) destroys a minion. If a minion is missed by an attack that normally deals damage on a miss, however, it takes no damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads