• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do chaotic Paladins have a name?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I call them "Fallen". They are one atonement away from being called "Paladins", though. Chaos isn't all that bad.

And Blackguards can be any evil, not just Lawful.

Cheers, -- N

lkj

Hero
Anyone remember the name they had in the old Plethora of Paladins article from Dragon magazine way back in the day? I'm spacing. I sort of remember the neutral paladin-- Paramander or some such, with the crazy version being Paramandyr (who believes balance can only be achieved by annihilating everything). Not sure I've got even those quite right, and my copy of the article is buried somewhere.

AD

Mystaros

First Post
The classic Chaotic Evil "paladin" is, of course, the Anti-Paladin.

Long ago I also heard the term "Neferin" applied to anti-paladins... or maybe it was "Nefarian" or "Nepheran."

There were the eight other paladin types in "A Plethora of Paladins" by Christopher Wood in Dragon #106.

In BECMI D&D there was the Avenger, which, from his abilities and followers, was not only chaotic but also evil.

For Chaotic Good the only name I've ever heard used was from the above-mentioned article. However, "Crusader," "White Knight," "Chevalier," and "Cavalier" might all be applicable, if you just want some name possibilities.

Klaus

First Post
victorysaber said:
Like, Paladins are Lawful Good.

Blackguards are Lawful Evil.

How about Chaotic Good and Chaotic Evil divine warriors? Do they have a specific name?
1) Blackguards aren't necessarily Lawful Evil.

2) Unearthed Arcana introduced the Paladin of Honor (the usual LG Paladin), Paladin of Freedom (CG), Paladin of Tyranny (LE) and Paladin of Slaughter (CE).

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
lkj said:
Anyone remember the name they had in the old Plethora of Paladins article from Dragon magazine way back in the day? I'm spacing. I sort of remember the neutral paladin-- Paramander or some such, with the crazy version being Paramandyr (who believes balance can only be achieved by annihilating everything). Not sure I've got even those quite right, and my copy of the article is buried somewhere.

AD
I can get ya a copy of the article if you can remember which mag # it was.

Yeti

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
"A Plethora of Paladins" in Dragon #106 had the following classes:

• Myrikhan - Neutral Good
  • Garath - Chaotic Good
  • Lyan - Lawful Neutral
  • Paramander - Neutral
  • Fantra - Chaotic Neutral
  • Illrigger - Lawful Evil
  • Arrikhan - Neutral Evil
So "Paladin" was Lawful Good and "Anti-Paladin" was Chaotic Evil, according to this schema.

In Dragon #310, James Jacobs wrote up good and neutral paladins, and in #312 he added the evil paladins:

• Anarch - Chaotic Neutral
  • Avenger - Chaotic Good
  • Sentinel - Neutral Good
  • Incarnate - Neutral
  • Enforcer - Lawful Neutral
  • Despot - Lawful Evil
  • Corrupter - Neutral Evil
  • Anti-Paladin - Chaotic Evil

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads