D&D 5E Do Cleric/Druid players just ignore a large portion of their spells list?

Li Shenron

Legend
This question comes to me every time I consider making some changes to my custom character sheets, and I look around other people's character sheets for inspiration...

I can't believe that actually the vast majority of the 5e character sheets out there do not have enough space for all the spells known by Clerics and Druids, particularly at spell levels 1-3. How the hell do people use those character sheets then? Do you just ignore half or so of your class spells list and only ever use the other half of them?

Hussar

Legend
Yes, IME they skim the book, find a few good spells, and stick with those.

Really, I think this is the probable answer. How often do your cleric/druid players completely revise their prepared list? Sure, you might switch out a couple of spells here and there, but, really, it's not like you're suddenly not going to have that spell you've been using for the last three levels unless there is a REALLY good reason.

And, let's not forget, the cleric spell list isn't exactly lengthy. There aren't that many spells/level and none of the supplements have added much to that list. Plus, a number of cleric spells are really, really situational. Find Traps is great, but, is only good once, only for a very limited space and it's one and done. Preparing Find Traps vs, say, Spiritual Weapon is fairly unlikely. Not until you're pretty high level and have slots to burn.

Realistically, I think clerics could cast like Sorcerers and there would be no problem. IMO, that's better than half the spell list just taking up space in the PHB.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
We have the spell cards so at our table the player physically has the spells in front of them in a stack that they have prepared for that day.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Clerics and Druids might as well have a spells known mechanic, considering the amount of times I actually changed my prepared spell list when I played those classes.

Oofta

Legend
The only time I don't see clerics ignoring a lot of useful spells is when you can buy or scribe scrolls which is really too bad.

As a house rule I don't require clerics to have a ritual spell already created, I may try [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s suggestion in my next campaign and just make them effectively sorcerers.

5ekyu

Hero
D&D beyond printout sheet shows the spells available for clerics druids - then you mark what you prepare.

clerics in games i run have created a few different "load-outs" for different circumstances.

but frankly, part of it is how many prep-per-day they get.

by 5th level they typical 16 wisdom cleric would have six "domain freebies" plus 5+3= 8 flexibles per day from their "slot spells for a total of 14 not counting cantrips. Compare to sorc which has 6 known plus cantrips. By 10th that increases to 10 domains and like 15 regular flex per days for 25 available slotted spells (vs sorc having 11 known) - ignoring cantrips.

that tends to make the "run standard set and change up for special occasions" pretty solid a choice.

Satyrn

First Post
This question comes to me every time I consider making some changes to my custom character sheets, and I look around other people's character sheets for inspiration...

I can't believe that actually the vast majority of the 5e character sheets out there do not have enough space for all the spells known by Clerics and Druids, particularly at spell levels 1-3. How the hell do people use those character sheets then? Do you just ignore half or so of your class spells list and only ever use the other half of them?
When I've played clerics in the past and with the druid I'm playing currently, I pretty much do ignore most of my spells known. I tend to keep the same spells prepared, changing them only when I realize I haven't used one in over a month.

I'm still doing this even while using an app to track my spells, and having them all readily available.

Remove ads