• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do fast healing and regeneration stack?

Thurbane

First Post
Quick question, do fast healing and regeneration stack?

Would a half-vampire troll get the benefits of both?

How about fast healing from multiple sources - do they stack?

DreamChaser

Explorer
They are different items altogether.

A creature would (IIRC) gain the benefits of regeneration for any nonlethal damage taken from sources that don't cause actual harm while fast healing would restore the damage that did harm them. So in the case of the troll, anything other than fire and acid would be handled by regeneration. Fire and acid would be subject to fast healing.

In terms of fast healing from 2 sources, they would overlap (same effect). So a creature with fast healing 1 that becomes a vampire (fast healing 5) would not gain fast healing 6. Instead they would have both simultaneously. If by some chance their vampiric abilities were blocked or turned off, the fast healing 1 would still be present.

DC

DiceGolem

First Post
Regeneration and Fast Healing stacks entirely. Fast Healing also heals nonlethal damage (before lethal, even), making it a potent combo.

Infiniti2000

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Hmmm, wouldn't the vampire troll lose regeneration since it is undead? Or am I making that up?
No, you're not making it up. It's covered by this sentence: "A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability." Of course, that only negates the OP's example. There might be others that are valid.

TessarrianDM

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
Hmmm, wouldn't the vampire troll lose regeneration since it is undead? Or am I making that up?

You are correct. Undead have no Constitution score, and you must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability (MM pg. 314). The example creature would only have fast healing.

If, however, there is a template/creature combination that would grant both, or two spells or abilities that granted both, then yes, they would stack.

Last edited:

Thurbane

First Post
Well, the half-vampire template (the example in my original post) does not change type to undead - but I also noticed that it is also not legal for a giant. :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads