• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Healing Surges close wounds?

Do Healing Surges close wounds?

• Yes. They always close at least SOME wounds.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Sometimes. It depends upon situational factors or something else.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • No. They don't actually close wounds, ever.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • OTHER: I cannot select one of the poll options...comments below.

Votes: 8 10.0%

jeffh

Adventurer
"Injury" isn't a defined mechanical term.
I don't think anyone's denying that, but that is a very long way from what "there are no wounds in D&D" appears to be saying. "Not specifically defined by the mechanics" is one thing, "doesn't exist" is quite another.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There are 3 types of injury.
1) Minor scrapes and bruises that do not affect the character's ability.

2) Major injuries that would harm the wounded's fighting ability but would not necessarily kill them quickly (broken bones, long limb cuts)

3) Fatal wounds that kill people deas

D&D only has rules for 1 and 3. Type 1 wounds are associated with HP loss. HP damage is minor scrapes and bridles that have no almost real effect on the target. When a character hits negatives, they have been stuck with either too many Type 1s than they could handle OR a Type 3 wound.

It they die, it was a Type 3.
If they don't, the injury could have been a Type 1 that was healed naturally or 3 healed magically.

But there are no Type 2 injuries in D&D 4ed. There are no rules for hindering, long lasting, nonfatal but threatening injuries.

The point is that a character doesn't get wounds and injuries they have to worry about until they are almost dead. When a character gets a major wound in D&D, they will need magic or professional medical care or they are DEAD.

Obryn

Hero
I don't think anyone's denying that, but that is a very long way from what "there are no wounds in D&D" appears to be saying. "Not specifically defined by the mechanics" is one thing, "doesn't exist" is quite another.
Like I said, though, this is a fluff distinction. If it's not mechanically defined, it's completely up to the DM and players.

4e makes a point of keeping fluff and crunch separate. For an abstract armchair-philosophical discussion of what Hit Points are, it's important to keep that in mind.

-O

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads