Level Up (A5E) Do heavy armors come with cloth armor to wear underneath?

In the second paragraph under Donning, Doffing, Sizing, and Sleeping in Armor it says, "It is assumed that cloth armor is worn under breastplates and suits of mail." (p. 320 of the Adventurer's Guide)

Do these armors come with the cloth armor or does it need to be purchased separately? We are starting our first game of LUA5E and 5GP makes a difference at level 1!

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, the idea is that you might take off the heavy part of your armour to sleep, but still be wearing padded quilts or something that would provide a few points of AC if you're caught napping. I've used that trick for years.

You don't have to buy them separately, they're part of heavy armour.

Yeah, the idea is that you might take off the heavy part of your armour to sleep, but still be wearing padded quilts or something that would provide a few points of AC if you're caught napping. I've used that trick for years.
well, not really - it's a real thing, and it's because that's how you attach the armor to your body. you strap the armor onto the clothed armor beneath. the clothed armor (typically also along with mail) acts as extra padding as well, so that blunt hits don't hurt so much. also, you'd most likely take your plate off while traveling so that the weight wasn't bogging you down so much (if you have a full suit of plate, you're probably a noble - your entourage can deal with it).

but in game yeah that's mostly what it would amount to.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
well, not really - it's a real thing, and it's because that's how you attach the armor to your body. you strap the armor onto the clothed armor beneath. the clothed armor (typically also along with mail) acts as extra padding as well, so that blunt hits don't hurt so much. also, you'd most likely take your plate off while traveling so that the weight wasn't bogging you down so much (if you have a full suit of plate, you're probably a noble - your entourage can deal with it).

but in game yeah that's mostly what it would amount to.
I'm pretty sure that's what I described. I guess you're objecting to me speaking of it mostly in game terms? At any rate, we're talking about the same thing.

As an aside, I'm sometimes surprised by how little the game speaks of things like quilting, felt, wool, and linen in armours. We give so little respect to our natural fibres!

I'm pretty sure that's what I described. I guess you're objecting to me speaking of it mostly in game terms? At any rate, we're talking about the same thing.
more just that the use cases for it weren't quite as narrow as you were implying
As an aside, I'm sometimes surprised by how little the game speaks of things like quilting, felt, wool, and linen in armours. We give so little respect to our natural fibres!
LEATHER IS DEAD. ALL HAIL LINEN.

Remove ads