• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do INT items give more skills?

ControlFreak

First Post
If a character puts on a Headband of Intellect (+2 INT), does that character get to spend additionnal points for every level at that point?

If not, do they get to add additional skill points starting at the level they got the headband?

Thanks in advance

CF

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
> If a character puts on a Headband of Intellect (+2 INT), does that character get to spend
> additionnal points for every level at that point?

No. Int is different than Con.

> If not, do they get to add additional skill points starting at the level they got the headband?

If they wear it as a regular practice and have it when they go up levels, yes.

graydoom

First Post
ControlFreak said:
If a character puts on a Headband of Intellect (+2 INT), does that character get to spend additionnal points for every level at that point?
No, INT increase is not retroactive.

If not, do they get to add additional skill points starting at the level they got the headband?
Yes, as long as it is continually worn by a character (the character couldn't take it off to lend it to someone for a while, for example).

ControlFreak

First Post
The characters in my game created 12th level chars with the DMG-listed 88kgp of goods. I'm telling the wizard that he should consider that he has gotten the headband since achieving 12th level. When he gets to 13th level I'll let him use the addition +1 INT bonus in assigning skill points.

When he hits an antimagic field I'll just have to play it by ear ;)

CF

graydoom

First Post
ControlFreak said:
The characters in my game created 12th level chars with the DMG-listed 88kgp of goods. I'm telling the wizard that he should consider that he has gotten the headband since achieving 12th level. When he gets to 13th level I'll let him use the addition +1 INT bonus in assigning skill points.

When he hits an antimagic field I'll just have to play it by ear ;)

CF
Good, make sure to do that. Make sure in any case that you also remember that no matter the cause, increases to int do not give retroactive skill points. So if he increased his int (using, say, his 3 bonus points gotten at 4th, 8th, and 12th level) he has to calculate the skill points level by level.

On anti-magic fields: IIRC, once gained and applied to purchase ranks, skill points won't "disappear" even if an int-increasing item is taken away. I'm not so sure about it, though.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Hm...

Personally, I wouldn't allow extra skill points from the headband. It has to come off sometime and the extra intelligence goes away. I say stick with the base intelligence for determining skill points, keeps things a little easier IMO.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
I think the official ruling is that you gain the extra points as long as you have the item on most of the time (ie most of the time from level X to level X+1), and that the points don't go away if it is taken off.

There are a lot of house rules about the situation.

--Headband of Intellect-less Spikey

Wolf72

Explorer
I'd go with cloudgather on this one. It would improve anything int related however: skill checks, DC's, etc (is there anything else?)

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Cloudgatherer said:
Hm...

Personally, I wouldn't allow extra skill points from the headband. It has to come off sometime and the extra intelligence goes away. I say stick with the base intelligence for determining skill points, keeps things a little easier IMO.

Yes, but it cripples rogues, bard, rangers (and other good skill list classes) vs fighters because they are skill based, and you are limiting one of the ways of making a class better.

The rule as is is better than just completely taking out the increased number of skills. At least IMO.

--Skilled Spikey

Remove ads