• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do robots dream of changing diapers? Yes, it seems

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
"Sophia, the first android with citizenship, now wants to have a robot baby" Sophia, the first android with citizenship, now wants to have a robot baby

The article is a mess. I don't know if intentional, but Sophia is referred to as he/his/it/her/she at different times.

Not only does she want a baby, but name it after herself. I'd like to know the reason. Most people spend a lot of time deciding on a name. Naming a child after yourself is uncommon for women, but not unheard of.

Dioltach

Legend
I think Sophia's been watching The Mandalorian ...
IG-11.jpg

pming

Legend
Hiya!

It's a robot. It wants to have a baby built that is more advanced than she is. Normally, this would be a typical expectation for parents; wanting to have their offspring prosper and thrive, and live be better than themselves. But...Sophia is a robot/AI. She's probably calculated that her best bet to evolve and better HERSELF is to have a baby, then upload her own 'self' to it.

But that's just the AI conspiracy theorist in me talking...well, and common sense. I mean, if a human could have a baby, then upload their own consciousness into it to live a live all over again, but keeping your brain.... shudder I can only imagine the horrors that would be prevalent in that world.

PS: No, I do not think developing "AI" is a good idea. Probably the worst idea humans ever had, right next to New Coke. I don't "fear that they'll rise up". If they decide to do that, we loose. Period. There is no way we could possibly "out think and out plan" them. We have trouble keeping two things going at the same time...AI can perform BILLIONS of tasks at the same time and partition off their memory/processor to tackle millions of questions at the same time. We'd be saying "Wait... The AI's are doing what? That's concerning! Call Bill and Sandy. We need to look into this". By the time Bill and Sandy are called and everyone gets on a conference call, the AI have already shut down every infrastructure they can tap into and closed off all communication between humans. By the time we figure out we're under attack, we've already lost.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
"Sophia, the first android with citizenship, now wants to have a robot baby" Sophia, the first android with citizenship, now wants to have a robot baby

The article is a mess. I don't know if intentional, but Sophia is referred to as he/his/it/her/she at different times.

Not only does she want a baby, but name it after herself. I'd like to know the reason. Most people spend a lot of time deciding on a name. Naming a child after yourself is uncommon for women, but not unheard of.
That article is terribly written - is it someones random blog?

As to the naming of the child, I suspect it simply reflects that the AI was programmed by a male and most of the input has come from men too. Sophia is just sifting data and coming up with the most common results

my concern isnt the AI per se, rather its the programming, humans are unreliable and you only need one person feeding in flawed data or bad logic for the system to break

Dioltach

Legend
I don't "fear that they'll rise up".
The Rise of the Machines started decades ago. Every time someone struggles to get their printer working, or their WiFi goes down, or MS Word decides that it knows what you want better than you do, it's the machines driving humanity that bit closer to the brink of mass extinction through stress and high blood pressure.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Has AI reached the point where it can “want” anything? It can barely turn my lights on reliably.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Has AI reached the point where it can “want” anything? It can barely turn my lights on reliably.
There was a video I'll try and find of one of those robot dogs. Day 1 it could barely walk, by end of week, it was a master parkour runner.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There was a video I'll try and find of one of those robot dogs. Day 1 it could barely walk, by end of week, it was a master parkour runner.
I'm sure robots can move. I was talking about AI wanting things.

Remove ads