• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do robots dream of changing diapers? Yes, it seems

Janx

Hero
I'm sure robots can move. I was talking about AI wanting things.
They can if we program them to.

I know that's not what you meant, either, but consider my quip a bit farther than face value.

We have biological imperatives that are "programmed" into us. Food. Sleep. Reproduction.

In contrast, AIs traditionally don't want anything. They don't even know they need electricity.

What if they did? An AI that has needs (and knows it), might be set to problem solve to support those needs.

Now that'd be interesting.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They can if we program them to.

I know that's not what you meant, either, but consider my quip a bit farther than face value.

We have biological imperatives that are "programmed" into us. Food. Sleep. Reproduction.

In contrast, AIs traditionally don't want anything. They don't even know they need electricity.

What if they did? An AI that has needs (and knows it), might be set to problem solve to support those needs.

Now that'd be interesting.
I wasn't talking about it from a philosophical POV, more of just a complexity POV. I don't doubt for a second that they could want stuff, just whether they do yet. I was under the impression that AI was still very primitive, outside of very task-specific applications.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
That article is terribly written - is it someones random blog?
According to the byline, it's a translation from Spanish, and I'm guessing it was done automatically... by an AI.
But no word yet on whether said AI wants to give birth to a baby dictionary.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I wasn't talking about it from a philosophical POV, more of just a complexity POV. I don't doubt for a second that they could want stuff, just whether they do yet. I was under the impression that AI was still very primitive, outside of very task-specific applications.
it's a bit more complicated than that, I think. Spot, the Boston Dynamics dog has a number of subject specific pachinko machines trained up. walking. stair climbing. Stair recognition. etc. He does figure out optimized paths to where you want him to go as he learns the area. (see the youtube vid by Adam Savage as he demos his dog).

If Spot had solar panels on his back and "knew" that's how to recharge his battery, he could be set to making sure that stays charged while complying with his other orders. He'd WANT naptime in the sun, for lack of a better metaphor. it's probably the scientist wouldn't "tell" Spot about the panel so much as mind battery level when it gets low and detect when it goes up and the pachinko machine to optimize that game would develop on its own.

That's possibly in reach right now.

pming

Legend
The Rise of the Machines started decades ago. Every time someone struggles to get their printer working, or their WiFi goes down, or MS Word decides that it knows what you want better than you do, it's the machines driving humanity that bit closer to the brink of mass extinction through stress and high blood pressure.
In that case...I'm gonna blame it all on Ugh. That guy who figured out how to poke things with a stick. That stick started the entire thing! Ever since that first time when he missed and the tip blunted on a rock. "GRRRGGG! And thus, "stress and high blood pressure" was born.
Effing Ugh and his stupid pointy stick! :mad:

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
it's a bit more complicated than that, I think. Spot, the Boston Dynamics dog has a number of subject specific pachinko machines trained up. walking. stair climbing. Stair recognition. etc. He does figure out optimized paths to where you want him to go as he learns the area. (see the youtube vid by Adam Savage as he demos his dog).

If Spot had solar panels on his back and "knew" that's how to recharge his battery, he could be set to making sure that stays charged while complying with his other orders. He'd WANT naptime in the sun, for lack of a better metaphor. it's probably the scientist wouldn't "tell" Spot about the panel so much as mind battery level when it gets low and detect when it goes up and the pachinko machine to optimize that game would develop on its own.

That's possibly in reach right now.
Imagine if the Spot AI was installed with a biogas generator that allowed it to consume organic matter - would it learn to consume waste, browse on grass or become a predator?

Janx

Hero
Imagine if the Spot AI was installed with a biogas generator that allowed it to consume organic matter - would it learn to consume waste, browse on grass or become a predator?
like most biologicals, it would probably have no regard for its environment and consume whatever lead to the highest yield. If that turned out to be grass, it might ignore non-grass as sub-optimal.

Remove ads