Do the D&D boardgames have any brilliant ideas for tracking resources?

Libramarian

Adventurer
I've never played any of the boardgames and I don't expect to any time soon, but I'm working on a new character sheet to help move classic/OSR dungeoncrawling into more of a boardgame direction, so I'm wondering if they have any good ideas for tracking resources, keeping identified and unidentified magic items separate, keeping banked treasure/pocketed treasure/new treasure that hasn't been counted for XP yet separate, and that kind of thing? What kind of components/cards/sheets do they have generally and how do they work?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I've never played any of the boardgames and I don't expect to any time soon, but I'm working on a new character sheet to help move classic/OSR dungeoncrawling into more of a boardgame direction, so I'm wondering if they have any good ideas for tracking resources, keeping identified and unidentified magic items separate, keeping banked treasure/pocketed treasure/new treasure that hasn't been counted for XP yet separate, and that kind of thing? What kind of components/cards/sheets do they have generally and how do they work?
Each power and item is represented by a card. When a power or item is used up, you flip it face-down. Some effects, like a pearl of power, can flip a card face-up again.

Each monster is represented by a card. When you defeat a monster, you put the card into the XP pile. When you're eligible to level up (or for other effects), you spend cards from the XP pile.

Non-magic-item treasure is represented by cardboard chits. When an encounter calls for it, you put a treasure tile (or card) face-down on the board, and you can go over and pick it up on your turn.

That's about it.

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
That's actually interesting because one of the things I'm thinking of doing is using little cards (just cutout squares of paper) to represent treasures -- the player picks up the treasure and pins it to their sheet with a paperclip. Then when it's time to sell/transfer/combine the treasure, and/or count it for XP, they take it out of the paperclip.

I'm using a paperclip abacus to track HP (numbers 1-10 on the edge of the sheet, you use a paperclip for tens and a paperclip for ones -- 39 is the tens paperclip on the 3 and the ones paperclip on the 9).

Remove ads