• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do the D&D boardgames have any brilliant ideas for tracking resources?

Libramarian

Adventurer
I've never played any of the boardgames and I don't expect to any time soon, but I'm working on a new character sheet to help move classic/OSR dungeoncrawling into more of a boardgame direction, so I'm wondering if they have any good ideas for tracking resources, keeping identified and unidentified magic items separate, keeping banked treasure/pocketed treasure/new treasure that hasn't been counted for XP yet separate, and that kind of thing? What kind of components/cards/sheets do they have generally and how do they work?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I've never played any of the boardgames and I don't expect to any time soon, but I'm working on a new character sheet to help move classic/OSR dungeoncrawling into more of a boardgame direction, so I'm wondering if they have any good ideas for tracking resources, keeping identified and unidentified magic items separate, keeping banked treasure/pocketed treasure/new treasure that hasn't been counted for XP yet separate, and that kind of thing? What kind of components/cards/sheets do they have generally and how do they work?
Each power and item is represented by a card. When a power or item is used up, you flip it face-down. Some effects, like a pearl of power, can flip a card face-up again.

Each monster is represented by a card. When you defeat a monster, you put the card into the XP pile. When you're eligible to level up (or for other effects), you spend cards from the XP pile.

Non-magic-item treasure is represented by cardboard chits. When an encounter calls for it, you put a treasure tile (or card) face-down on the board, and you can go over and pick it up on your turn.

That's about it.

Last edited:

Libramarian

Adventurer
That's actually interesting because one of the things I'm thinking of doing is using little cards (just cutout squares of paper) to represent treasures -- the player picks up the treasure and pins it to their sheet with a paperclip. Then when it's time to sell/transfer/combine the treasure, and/or count it for XP, they take it out of the paperclip.

I'm using a paperclip abacus to track HP (numbers 1-10 on the edge of the sheet, you use a paperclip for tens and a paperclip for ones -- 39 is the tens paperclip on the 3 and the ones paperclip on the 9).

Remove ads