• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Do these magic items exist in any 3e books?

Oryan77

Adventurer
I don't see anything like these in the DMG. Do they exist in any other 3e book?

Boots of Varied Tracks - it lets you make tracks that resemble any kind of creatures foot print

Necklace of Missiles - has a limited number of gems that fires a magic missile once, then the gem vanishes.

Arrow of Direction - arrow points in the direction of certain objects

dcollins

Explorer
I'll point out that the necklace of missiles from previous editions of D&D (like AD&D 1st Ed.) actually was a fireball-launcher, and has been renamed the necklace of fireballs in current D&D core rules (in the DMG).

Oryan77

Adventurer
dcollins said:
I'll point out that the necklace of missiles from previous editions of D&D (like AD&D 1st Ed.) actually was a fireball-launcher, and has been renamed the necklace of fireballs in current D&D core rules (in the DMG).

You're right. I even saw that in the DMG. I gave that item to a 2e player years ago and I forgot it was a fireball necklace. I was thinking I gave him a magic missile version. I just looked up my 2e version and it was in fact a fireball necklace. Thanks for pointing that out.

Creat

First Post
I don't think those items exist, but you can just make them yourself with the rules presented in the DMG. For example a magic missile necklace with, say, 5 missiles (each cast at 1st level) would cost 250 gp. One with 5 missiles cast at 9th level would be 2250 gp.

For the Boots of Varied Tracks the Pass without trace spell cold be a good base. If you think that's too powerful just count it as a 2nd level spell instead of 1st (would make a price of 2000 or 4000 gp respectively). Or if you think it's too expensive count it as 0 level spell (after all this does less than the spell used) resulting in 1000 gp. You can reduce the cost further by making it a non-permanent thing that has to be activated, and can only be used once per day (for 1 hour), and we're down to 200 gp (based on the 0-level-version)

With the Arrow of direction it would be depending on what exactly you'd want to do with it. Like every arrow points to the nearest of certain objects (like the nearest tavern or something) or if you want to be able to change the object it is pointing to. It would still be obviously based on the Locate Object spell (for an object like this the range could be changed - with appropriate changes to the price of course).

This goes on of course, but they can't think of EVERY magic item someone might need at any point in his (characters) life :)

EDIT: This of course would be considered a house rule

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads