D&D 5E Do you allow lucky feat and Wiz. divination portent feature for downtime activity rolls?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
By RAW it seems that players should be able to use the lucky feat or the Wizard School of Divination Portent Feature for skill checks required by downtime activities. However, given the ample opportunity for long rest during extended downtime, is this not almost guaranteeing good results?

I have a player who is considering a build that will have both. That's 5 re-rolls per long rest, two of which can be used for one check.

With XGE variants there is at least "complication" rolls, which the Lucky Feat won't help with.

I'm inclined to allow it because I like to follow RAW and I also like the idea of the trope of the lucky sob who is always finding what he needs and getting good deals. I don't think it would break anything, but this is the first campaign where downtime with figure prominently.

Has anyone used a lot of downtime activities where characters made heavy use of the lucky feat? How did that impact the game?

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The downtime rules are a variant. Treat them as such. They aren't written exhaustively and are designed to make downtime quick and easy to do.

The one roll represents a week of work. Other modifiers like Guidance don't cut it either.

Much of 5E is balanced around the concept of several encounters in a day. That's why spellcasters have so many spell slots, and that's why Lucky isn't the be-all and end-all of feats.

During downtime, you might be pressed to make a single d20 roll every day, which means Lucky can safely apply to everything you do. That seems a bit extreme, doesn't it? The only real catch is that downtime activities are unlikely to break anything, regardless of how well they go. This isn't GURPS, where you might need to make an enchanting skill check every day, and where a single failed die roll can ruin a year of work.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I simplified that stuff quite a bit for my gaming group: we don't roll at all.

If the character has the right set of tools and is proficient with them, and puts in the full amount of downtime/gold/materials needed, the skill check automatically succeeds. Otherwise the check automatically fails.

MNblockhead

The downtime rules are a variant. Treat them as such. They aren't written exhaustively and are designed to make downtime quick and easy to do.

The one roll represents a week of work. Other modifiers like Guidance don't cut it either.

Right. I agree. Would you allow lucky feat and/or portent to be used on that one roll?

MNblockhead

I simplified that stuff quite a bit for my gaming group: we don't roll at all.

If the character has the right set of tools and is proficient with them, and puts in the full amount of downtime/gold/materials needed, the skill check automatically succeeds. Otherwise the check automatically fails.

Are you using XGE? Because few of the downtime activities are pass/fail. Most have you compare your roll against a table to determine the result.

5ekyu

Hero
By RAW it seems that players should be able to use the lucky feat or the Wizard School of Divination Portent Feature for skill checks required by downtime activities. However, given the ample opportunity for long rest during extended downtime, is this not almost guaranteeing good results?

I have a player who is considering a build that will have both. That's 5 re-rolls per long rest, two of which can be used for one check.

With XGE variants there is at least "complication" rolls, which the Lucky Feat won't help with.

I'm inclined to allow it because I like to follow RAW and I also like the idea of the trope of the lucky sob who is always finding what he needs and getting good deals. I don't think it would break anything, but this is the first campaign where downtime with figure prominently.

Has anyone used a lot of downtime activities where characters made heavy use of the lucky feat? How did that impact the game?

As a broad house rule, i represent extended tasks as a race to three ala death saves, never a single roll. As such, yeah, i am fine with them throwing portent etc at it but unless its a lot of days and such it likely wont get them the whole thing on portent rolls alone.

lucky feat is one i do not allow - period - in the game.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Are you using XGE? Because few of the downtime activities are pass/fail. Most have you compare your roll against a table to determine the result.
We are, but it hasn't really come up. Most of the time, the players want to use downtime to craft antitoxins and healing potions. I imagine if one of the more exotic situations in XGE ever comes up, I'll choose the result that is most appropriate for the situation and the character's level.

For Carousing, I'd probably let the story decide which contacts were made and how strong they are instead of randomly rolling them. And for buying magic items, I'll probably choose the table (or even the item) myself rather than let it be random. That way, the player won't spend all that downtime looking for something they can't use or afford, and I don't have to worry about giving out too many magic items, or magic items that are too over/under powered for the characters.

I might change my mind later if it doesn't play well with my group...but like I said, it hasn't come up yet. For the most part, they trust me to keep the story lively and interesting, and I trust them to not cheat or exploit the rules.

Remove ads