Do you, as DM, fudge die rolls?

When do *you* fudge dice rolls as DM?

• Never! The dice are the master in my game.

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Only to keep the players alive.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • To keep the baddies alive. What's the fun in the big boss getting disintegrated on round one?

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • In favour of both the PCs and monsters, to keep the game going.

Votes: 53 51.5%
  • You guys still use dice?!

Votes: 6 5.8%

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
*sigh*

Unfortunately, reaper, I wasn't asking you. You've rather ruined my chance to get an unsullied answer.

And, the fact that it is "logical" does not actually answer the question.

It is, after all, an honest question - why do any of us care what percentage of board members who choose to respond fudge their die rolls? Why is this datum interesting or meaningful, or is it meaningful or interesting at all?

Berandor

lunatic
Psion said:

But I find it totally and completely pointless to put something in your game and go back on it when you decide that you don't really want to inflict that fate on the PCs in the first place. My general rule of thumb is not to put anything in an adventure unless I am willing to accept any possible outcome from it. As someone once said:

Don't roll a dice unless you are willing to pay the price.

I do not fudge to keep some fate from happening to the PCs or NPCs, but if I have an arch-nemesis and his right hand (for example: a Death Knight) set up for loads of adventures, and I know they can take him in a close fight, and they manage to kill him through luck within half a round, before the Death Knight acts, or most of the group - then perhaps there is another precaution, or the DeathKnighthas more hps, or else.

And not to save my critters - heck, I've got a whole world of them - but because such a fight is anticlimactal.

I had this once, where the PCs went from level 1 - 5 plotting the final confrontation, and then the mage kept on missing her touch attacks, thereby posing no threat to the PCs except for her summoned critters - from Summon Monster II (1d3 from I).

That was such a lame ending, and a whole session went down to planning, when the plans didn't really affect anything duie to sheer inaptitude from the major villain.

Won't happen to me again.

Berandor

maddman75

First Post
It is nonsensical to fudge die rolls "for the sake of the plot." In the kind of game that I enjoy, the DM is not in charge of the plot. He sets things up, and players can tell which way the wind blows, but nothing says they have to go there.

I suspect that fudging die rolls is closely related to railroading plots. Both want to see a certain outcome, regardless of the luck of the dice or the will of the characters.

Uller

Adventurer
I used to fudge dice rolls now and again to save a PC or keep things exciting. I know longer do. In fact, I often roll right out in front of the players so they know that they're "live without a net" so to speak.

I've found it is more fun to let the players know that their fate is in their own hands(and those of the dice) and not mine.

Psion

Adventurer
maddman75 said:
It is nonsensical to fudge die rolls "for the sake of the plot." In the kind of game that I enjoy, the DM is not in charge of the plot.

I agree. I don't even like using the term "plot" unless it means "evil plot." AFAIAC, the adventure plan is a situation, and as such should be considered fluid. Anything can happen. A GM with good situational control can make the best out of any unexpected circumstances that arise, and the campaign benefits, IMO, from getting an occasional kick in an unexpected direction.

I think that the most important impacts of making it clear to the players that you let the dice roll as they may is psychological. When they enter a dangerous situation, it adds tension and excitement. And when they suceed at someting, they know it wasn't just because you were "taking it easy on them." I think this adds greatly to the gaming experience.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
Uller said:
I used to fudge dice rolls now and again to save a PC or keep things exciting. I know longer do. In fact, I often roll right out in front of the players so they know that they're "live without a net" so to speak.

I've found it is more fun to let the players know that their fate is in their own hands(and those of the dice) and not mine.

Exactly the answer I was going to type. Why bother rolling dice if you're just going to change the result to what you want?

Oracular Vision

First Post
Actually, the thing I must frequently have to fudge is the hit die of monsters, its scary what optimized 9th level fighters can do in one round of full attacks...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I only fudge when I as DM have underestimated (or overestimated) the strength of an encounter and it is going too easy (or too hard) for the PCs - As an experienced DM, this happens very rarily - but the amount it happened incresed slightly when I first began 3E - but has dropped off to nearly nil in the last year.

However, I will never roll out in the open because - I do not want players knowing how good a fighter something is - what its level or HD might be, or STR score. . .

Players never know the AC of a creature or opponent, or how many hit points it has, or its BAB, or saves, etc. . . .

THAT is what screens are for. . .

Remove ads