• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you care about setting "canon"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The situation with Star Wars canon pre-2014 is vastly more complex than that.

"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon.""

I'm not sure that is "vastly more complex".

delericho

Legend
"As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films and the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, while the Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon and was re-termed as the "Legends" brand. Most Star Wars material released after April 25, 2014—with some exceptions—is composed in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group, making it part of the "new canon.""

I'm not sure that is "vastly more complex".

Um, that quote deals with the situation after April 2014. My comment was about the situation before then, when there were no fewer than six distinct levels of SW canon.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Um, that quote deals with the situation after April 2014. My comment was about the situation before then, when there were no fewer than six distinct levels of SW canon.

Ah, I see. I read it to be about what happened now to what was canon before 2014, not the condition of that canon before 2014. My error.

delericho

Legend
Ah, I see. I read it to be about what happened now to what was canon before 2014, not the condition of that canon before 2014. My error.

No worries. If it helps, I did have to check my post to make sure I'd actually said what I meant to say. :)

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I've evolved away from using published settings over time precisely because of canon issues. If I'm in a game with a published setting, I have a strong desire to see canon matter. And since the players I know have little to no investment in the settings I do like, it's much easier for me to play in or run a campaign with only a loosely defined setting.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't think anyone has been saying that you wouldn't use any of the setting.

But using a setting doesn't mean using all the lore. A setting is, first and foremost (to me at least) a set of maps, proper names, some basic background/history, and the themes that are established by all that.

But does it mean the same thing to your players? If they have familiarity with the setting, are you going to have problems where their expectations and yours don't match up. You see a cool proper name and weave things around it's basic idea, and player X knows about that proper name and it's 80% overlap since you started with the basics but you wipes out this whole section over here that changed how people look at him, and you don't understand why the character treats this NPC like he's a villain.

A setting is also a shorthand for getting player familiarity. Let me use a smaller example. If I say "we're using the Norse mythos" there is a whole boatload of knowledge and interconnections that the players automatically grok. If I say "we're using my homebrew mythos" I need to introduce it from scratch. If I say "we're using the Norse mythos", but Thor is a coward, Freya is they real power behind the throne, Odin is humble, Loki virtuous and there are no Giants - at that point you need to erase more than you gain by reusing something existing.

What you are describing about using bits and pieces of a setting sounds like a movie "based on a book". If no one knows the book you've got a bit of work done, but you've got to introduce everything like it's a complete homebrew without the benefit of using a setting the players already know. On the flip side, if some players do know the setting it's like people who have read the book and are wondering why this subplot is gone, those side characters have been merged, and that main character has been changed. In that case the familiarity works against you.

"So it's Eberron, but the last war didn't happen (""um, I don't knwo where warforged come from"), Cyre is still the Mourneland but now it's inhabited by dragons. Oh, dragons are standard D&D dragons, that whole giant/dragon thing in the deep past was wonky. I've kept eight of the dragonmarked houses, but with changes, and introduced two new ones. There are no lighting rail or airships. And I want the Silver Flame to be pure so ignore the lycanthrope purge and any other oddities. I don't know if I'm using the Lords of Dust."

(And that's only if you could articulate everything you didn't use to the players.)

I don't mind pilliaging settings for ideas and such. But at that point I'm not using the setting, I'm mining a few things from it and filing off the serial numbers.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I suppose I'd also have to look at canon on a case by case basis, and the real question to me is "where do we begin to deviate from the setting canon?" Because no campaign can include all canon 100℅; at the very least, your PCs accomplished the stuff in the module instead of other PCs.

And how much of a change constitutes a change? Say that in my Dragonlance campaign, the Cataclysm was caused not by the gods punishing the Kingpriest of Istar but by an explosion resulting from a mad wizard's (successful) attempt to sever the ties between the mortal realm and the Gods' influence. The outcome is the same, but the cause is different. What part of that is canon and what isn't? What is the most important piece of the canon from a world-definition perspective?

manduck

Explorer
Our group doesn't follow canon at all. We do play in FR but we like the maps and world history more than the current state of the world. Mainly because we like our groups to be the ones changing the world rather than dealing with what other powerful characters have caused. We'll use some of the interesting factions and locations, but pretty much ditch the rest. The campaign books have always been just background setting and maps to us. The fiction is fun to read but we don't let it have an impact on our games. We're looking to tell different stories and just enjoy reading the books as their own thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads