• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Do you Critical Role?

Do you Critical Role?

• Um...what's 'Critical Role'? Is it some kind of podcast or something?

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I've never watched a single episode.

Votes: 51 22.9%
  • Not really. It's just not my cup of tea.

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Eh, I'll watch it every now and then, when I'm bored or whatever.

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Every now and then, when I can find the time.

Votes: 29 13.0%
  • I'm a regular viewer. Is it Thursday yet?

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Yep. And Talks Machina, and Between the Sheets, and Handbooker Helper, and...

Votes: 21 9.4%

• Poll closed .

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Recent threads (and national headlines) have got me curious: how many ENWorlders watch Critical Role?

EDIT: Sorry about the poorly-worded Response No. 5...I didn't intend to make it sound so similar to the adjacent option.
If it helps, pretend I said "As often as I can, when I can find the time."

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No. Absolutely not.
And it's not because I don't enjoy the idea. I just don't have the time.
Not even close to enough time.
The struggle is real. I want to re-watch the Briarwoods story arc, but at 4-5 hours per episode, that's pretty much a part-time job! :)

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I marked "every now and then" My high school/college age children watch it regularly (especially my son in High school). I catch bits and pieces; typically I see the first little bit on Thursday evening, and he catches me up on some of what has happened. I enjoy it in small doses; I'm not minded to stay up to watch the whole thing, and I find that I enjoy watching others play D&D less than I enjoy playing it myself. But I enjoy being a fan "once removed."

thorgrit

Explorer
For whatever reason, could be the playstyle, the editing, the types of players, I not only couldn't get into it, it always felt more like an uncanny-valley-like interpretation of tabletop play than anything I've personally experienced.

Then again, I don't really enjoy listening to play session recordings anyway, preferring my podcasts to be people talking about tabletop, rather than performing it.

I tried it. It wasn't my cup of tea. I'm glad it exists for people who do like it, though.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I never watch it live, I listen to it in the background while I work. As I work alone it’s nice to have the company.

Edit: and I especially appreciate it now that my home game has slowed to every other week. (which means a month gap if it gets cancelled... :( )

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a big fan of the voice actors, but this is not for me. I've given it a try several times, did not latch on.

Correlated, I can't stand podcasts. They don't go at the right speed to keep my attention. And I have lousy ears and speeding them up often makes me miss words here and there. My mind wanders off to think about other things. Spoken word / conversation speed is ridiculously slow when you're just consuming. At least with movies (which I watch little, and same with TV) there's more for your eyes to enjoy as well, and you'll also processing the score and such. Plus the pacing changes up - might have a dialog, and then it shifts to something else, and so forth.

I'm a rather fast reader (60 pages/hr technical, up to 100 pages an hour for fluff fiction), Critical Role, as much as I enjoy could enjoy it for a five minute stretch, just can't keep me entertained for an hour, much less a whole episode, and forget about all the episodes.

Remove ads