Do You Know Your Glaive-Guisarme From Your Bohemian Earspoon?

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.

Weapons are a large part of any fantasy game. Sometimes they are detailed individually, with crunchy statistics; sometimes they are merely left as flavour. However, it can be fun to imagine the weapons your character is wielding. Halberds, maces, rapiers, guisarmes, glaives, arquebuses, firelances, crossbows, and more make up the armories of any fantasy realms. Straight from the pages of [WOIN] Archaic Equipment, the upcoming sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system come these illustrations of a wide range of weapons from artist Egil Thompson.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg

w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

SaveSave

Herschel

Adventurer
Pretty cool overall.

Nits: The Claymore is a Bastard Sword with Scottish Stylings. Those calling the Basket-Hilted Broadsword a Claymore are incorrect, and repeating those that called it incorrectly doesn't change that fact. :)

Yes, the Military Pick is actually what Warhammers looked like.

The Long Sword is WAY too big, especially the hilt. It's larger than the Bastard Sword.

The Mancatcher's "business end" looks to be on the small side.

The vast majority of real Battle Axes had only one head.

EdL

First Post
Steamed? I'm really sorry.

Well, not nearly as steamed as I would have been if you'd showed the usual huge double sided thing (which would be physically impossible to wield) that mostly shows up as a warhammer these days, but still a bit steamed. Perhaps I should say disappointed instead.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, not nearly as steamed as I would have been if you'd showed the usual huge double sided thing (which would be physically impossible to wield) that mostly shows up as a warhammer these days, but still a bit steamed. Perhaps I should say disappointed instead.

Think of it as a "Dwarven Warhammer" instead. They like their warhammers a bit more chunky. :)

Nits: The Claymore is a Bastard Sword with Scottish Stylings. Those calling the Basket-Hilted Broadsword a Claymore are incorrect, and repeating those that called it incorrectly doesn't change that fact. :)

The Long Sword is WAY too big, especially the hilt. It's larger than the Bastard Sword.
Claymore is just anglicised gaelic meaning "big sword". Bear in mind that D&D weapons covers over a millennia: the two-handed claymore was no longer used when the basket-hilted sword sword was called this. (Used to distinguish it from the lighter blades used by the soft English officers at the time.) ;)

I don't think that the Longsword is to scale. To be frank, the Bastard sword illustration is actually what an historical long sword looked like: it was almost exclusively two-handed. In D&D terms, the "Longsword" probably refers to "Arming sword" or just "Sword", covering blades from celtic and viking swords to the heavier rapiers.

Remove ads

Remove ads