Do You Play in AL?

Do You Play in AL?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have mixed feelings about AL. I really miss the old days when you could play mid-to-high level one-offs in RPGA tournament modules using pre-gens.

With AL I could only play at low levels for a long time because I couldn't play frequently enough to level up into the higher tiers.

I play AL because it is one way I can easily get a chance to play instead of DM.

Now that I found a regular game that works for my schedule, I'm finally leveling up a character. The game itself is pretty similar to any regular group, since we are the same group of players week after week, with the exception is that I can take my character to a con and finally sit down at a higher tier table to play.

I generally prefer to play non-AL D&D games at Cons but they are becoming very uncommon.

The one thing I love about AL, however, are the Epics. You have around 100 players playing in one game. Tables are group by tiers (i.e., 1-4, 5-10, 11-16, 17-20) and each tier is grouped into tables with 6 players. Each tier has objective and the able report their progress to the Epic organizer. In some, games tables can ask for assistance from other tables. In other games, there are NPCs that travel from table to table presenting additional challenges and boons. The last one I played into two weeks ago was a fundraiser, so you buy reroll tickets. Which you need because the DMs are encouraged to make things especially deadly.

In Epics, you are running against the clock with frequent announcements about other teams' successes, so there is cheering throughout the game.

Playing AL, for me, is worth it just to level up characters to play in the Epics.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
...but no longer as of today. Because the individuals responsible for the season 8 rule changes are imbeciles.

Have to roll my eyes at this. I mean, I'll happily join a gripe session about the whole concept of organized play in modern D&D, but I can still enjoy playing the game under AL constraints.

The recent changes to AL don't change this fact. It certainly changes the feeling of playing D&D to me, but it is just a different style of play I can adjust to.

The folks who created the changes are not imbeciles. They are passionate about the game, give the rules a lot of thought, and care about making the game accessible and enjoyable to the broadest base of people they can. Overall, in my experience, they have done an excellent job. At least in my area, AL is thriving and bringing new people into the hobby every week.

You're free to not play AL if it no longer is fun for you. That's the great thing about the game you and your friends can play it how you want. That doesn't make other imbeciles. I predict that the changes will face loud grumbling for few months, cause AL to lose a very small number of players, and that it will continue to grow in popularity.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
Have to roll my eyes at this. I mean, I'll happily join a gripe session about the whole concept of organized play in modern D&D, but I can still enjoy playing the game under AL constraints.

The folks who created the changes are not imbeciles. They are passionate about the game, give the rules a lot of thought, and care about making the game accessible and enjoyable to the broadest base of people they can. Overall, in my experience, they have done an excellent job. At least in my area, AL is thriving and bringing new people into the hobby every week.
No, the individuals responsible for the changes ARE in fact imbeciles. I don't think I've ever met a single person with even moderate gaming experience who would think any of the treasure/faction changes are anything short of egregiously stupid. My five year old nephew who probably doesn't know what Dungeons and Dragons even IS (could be wrong about this, little guy's a lot more canny and aware than you'd expect) would write more intelligible, better balanced, and more enabling rules.

1) Decouples treasure rewards from player agency: Did you like gambling? Picking pockets? Did you have some sort of in-character motivation or personal character arc for seeking out Penzance the Pirate's lost treasure? Did you feel some sense of accomplishment upon slaying the evil dragon and getting hold of it's fabulous hoard? Pity that's all completely meaningless now. I'm sorry you lost three fingers opening that trapped chest; those accountants over there who stayed home earned the exact same amount of treasure. Perhaps worst of all, this is a terrible example to show new players introduced to the game through organized play.

2) Cuts out Whole Swaths of System Functionality: See above re: pickpocketing and gambling. Also: Cursed items, gone. Logistics of carrying large amounts of loot back to town, disappeared. And a background tax now on those wanting to play an "evil" role.

3) Brings back the magic mart:...that several books made such a hullabaloo of trying to remove from the game, with good reason. Expect never again to see a whole slough of oddball items like wands of wonder in AL play; or others that had the misfortune to be placed on a more expensive treasure chart that was never designed for item balance in the first place. Because all magic items now have a huge opportunity cost, because the player base has automatic access to all of the very best items they've unlocked.

4) Needlessly complicated, poorly edited, poorly written: Necessary information is presently spread out over no fewer than five documents. Adds multiple documents and another book (the 5e DMG) which players now need to reference for leveling/character development.

5) Screws over existing characters: Evil characters and others deeply involved with factions that they can no longer be a member of. Those deeply affected or designed around items they no longer have access to. (Background tax now on anyone wanting to try out an evil role). AL organizers COULD have implemented a character revision as they did previously so as to adapt prior characters that people have spent months or even years now developing. But they didn't.

6) Imposed from the Top Down: Without any serious discussion, vote, or reasonable trial period amongst the Adventurers League community.

Don't get me wrong, not all the changes are horrible. Advancement checkpoints work just fine; the concept of "story items" and the overall balance of banned items are mostly reasonable. And the idea of reducing gold rewards / making gold more valuable isn't INHERENTLY terrible. But..

I predict that the changes will face loud grumbling for few months, cause AL to lose a very small number of players, and that it will continue to grow in popularity.
Funny, people were saying the same things and were equally dismissive of player complaints right before 4e caused major portions of the D&D player base to go elsewhere...

Last edited:

Remove ads