Do You Play Other Table Top Games?

Mezuka

Hero
When I have time I like to play board games, card games and war games.

In 2022, so far, I've played several games of SpaceCorps (GMT). I also played the latest edition of Talisman. I'm attempting to play Mage Knight in solo mode. Also played Aliens the board game with miniatures.

In 2021, I played Alien Artifacts the card game and Battlestar Galactica Space Battles. Covid didn't help.

Which games do you play?

Reynard

Legend
I have 2 or 3 active RPG groups depending on how much crossover you allow for when counting a separate group, but the local IRL plays board games together pretty often. We play stuff like Lord's of Waterdeep, Terraforming Mars, and Raiders of the North Sea, plus staples like Carcassonne. I don't play and CCGs or LCGs, tho.

pukunui

Legend
My RPG groups are all playing D&D 5e exclusively at the moment.

I do occasionally play board / card games with my wife and/or children.

In the past, I have played non-D&D RPGs, like SWSE and Bulldogs (a sci-fi FATE game). I would like to play the Dragon Age TTRPG someday.

Dioltach

Legend
When I burned out on RPGs a few years ago one of my groups switched to boardgames. We were having fun exploring the possibilities, and our likes and dislikes, when the pandemic hit and we switched to playing D&D via Skype.

So I have a huge collection (well, not huge by BGG standards, but it's pretty substantial for normal people) of games that I doubt I'll ever get to the table again, or in some cases even for the first time. One of these days I'm going to get round to selling them.

When we do play a boardgame, it's generally something light like Celestia, Bargain Quest or Escape from Atlantis

Endroren

Adventurer
Publisher
Love games like Gloomhaven, Descent, Heroquest, Zombiecide, etc in between rpg game nights. And there are so many fun boardgames and card games, from Boss Monster and Munchkin to Terraforming and Dungeon Petz.

I really miss historical war gaming. I was lucky enough to play with a group of hardcore adult historical wargamers when I was in middle school, and it was a blast.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gloomhaven has gotten my wife and I though many an afternoon in the isolation of the pandemic.

I'm a fan of Betrayal at the House on the Hill (and Betrayal Legacy, imho one of the best boardgamey experiences around, sadly out of print right now). Also gotten a lot of miles out of Sentinels of the Multiverse.

There are also several small, lightweight games that are good for an occasional play - Unstable Unicorns, and Sushi Go for example. There's a small stack of games in the library for appropriate moments...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I'm finally back up and running (online) TTRPGs again. Just Traveller for now but I do enjoy Pathfinder Classic, Call of Cthulhu, PbtA games and many more.

I used to play board games a lot but since my divorce right before the pandemic I just havent gotten back into it yet.

Richards

Legend
Most of the board games we play nowadays are ones we made ourselves, although we've slowly gotten out of the habit as my nephew has grown. (He's now 15 and board games no longer have the appeal they once did, now that he's heavily into computer and console games.) But we still have (and occasionally play) "The Superhero Harry Game" (with game cards for every member of our family, each now a superhero), "The Monster Game" (take over the Earth by controlling various kaiju and defeating the other players' kaiju armies), "The Ultraman Game" (one player controls the Science Patrol vehicles and can summon Ultraman for a limited span of time, the other player runs the marauding kaiju whose powers are different each time you play), "The Tick Game" (one player runs the Tick and assorted allies, the other runs an equal number of adversaries and they fight it out in The City), "The Skylanders Game" (be the first to amass a team of eight Skylanders, one from each of the initial eight elements, plus the Giant from your starting element), "The Skylanders Trap Team Game" (see who can capture the most enemies, using elemental traps and power-up hats of different types), and just to be different, a card-and-dice game without a board, "My Girlfriends Can Beat Up Your Girlfriends."

I've also made game boards of games I didn't create, mostly chess variants: Jetan (Barsoomian chess), Chinese Chess, Hexagonal Chess, and Shogi (Japanese Chess). Every once in a while my youngest son and I give one of those a whirl.

My wife and I used to play a lot of Scrabble, Backgammon, and Yahtzee (including Triple Yahtzee). Not so much anymore, though. (Sitting at a table is uncomfortable for her.)

When my granddaughter comes to visit, she's usually up for card games, almost always 500 Rummy (but also occasionally Uno).

Johnathan

Remove ads