• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

• Yes

Votes: 262 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 182 41.0%

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Turjan said:
I also like this version: I'd suggest taking a tape recorder with you when you visit them. Ask them a question. Come back next day to switch the recorder on. T

A humanoid can't live at a much slower speed than humans, considering that we move at this speed so we can hunt and eat prey, and so that we can effectively fight and run away from predators. We talk to warn each other of what's out there, and to corrdinate hunting expeditions.

SmokestackJones

First Post
As much as I like to play dwarves, I do prefer playing humans. I usually play humans as abstracted humans. Waitaminute...

(looks down trousers)

...yeah, human.

Male.

-SJ

Last edited:

Heathen72

Explorer
Always humans for me. I identify with them more readily, and frankly, those semi humans just don't appeal to me at all.

Aeolius said:
That's why running an undersea campaign is so challenging (read that "fun"). It exercises one's willing suspension of disbelief.

On the contrary, suspension of disbelief is easier undersea - the water holds it up.

Charberus

First Post
I would rather play a nonhuman like a dwarf, kobald, halfling, poisondusk lizardfolk, troll, or a gnome. Other races are acceptable too. I just don't like playing elves and humans (and half elves).

Elves are too much panzies, and humans are just...humans. I see enough humans in life that I would rather see/play other races in RPG.

Bagpuss

Legend
Hairfoot said:
That's why game elves are human analogues and not the terrifyingly alien creatures they are in folklore.

But folklore created by humans. Hence if we (humans) can create these terrifying alien creatures in folklore, surely RPG-designers and RPG-players can recreate them in RPGs.

Bagpuss

Legend
Dannyalcatraz said:
Their long lives would give them a very different perspective on EVERYTHING.

Why? Humans live about twice as long now as we use to in the middle ages, there is no indication that has effected our perception of time. If anything the only things that have effected our perception of time are technological advances like transport reducing travel time, and electric light, increasing the amount of available work time in the day.

We have a lot of extra time on our hands from living twice as long and cars, and electricity making tasks like washing faster, transport moving goods faster, etc. There is very little indication that because we have all this extra time on our hands that we make long term plans instead of short sighted ones, if anything we have become more short-sighted.

Magic the technology of the fantasy realm is equally available to humans and elves a like. That would probably be a bigger effect on their culture than their lifespan.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads