• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

Do You Prefer to Play a Human PC When RPGing?

• Yes

Votes: 262 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 182 41.0%

Aeric

Explorer
My decision in what race to play is determined by two things--character concept and the racial distribution of the party. If the rest of the party is human, chances are I will play a demihuman. If there are no elves in the party, then I will play an elf or a half-elf.

Character concept plays a much smaller role.

Jolly Giant

First Post
My favorite race is whichever race I havn't played before. Except half-orc; I've tried every other race in the PHB and have enjoyed them all. I don't know why, but they just seem meh to me.

I've also played lizard folk, goblin, orc, those living constructs from FF (can't remember what they're called) and various templated races. The weirdest one was probably an insectile dwarf barbarian. He had been experimented on by an evil druid with a bug-fixation, but managed to escape. I took a PrC from comp. war. that specializes in fighting spellcasters, meaning to one day track down that nasty druid and get my revenge. The campaigned fizzled out before I got the chance though. :]

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Seeker95 said:
I play a human in real life. I don't feel a need to do so in my RPG when there are other options.
Yeah, me too.

Although it doesn't bother me; I just prefer to explore "otherness" in games.

Ahnehnois

First Post
I play humans more than other races, though I've done at least a gnome and a couple of dwarves and halflings during my time. It's partially about the generic nature of humans, partially because I happen to be one, but also because they're so powerful! If other races got a free feat or skill point per level I'd play less humans.

There's also a desire to avoid the endless gags that get directed your way if you play a standard (but non-human) race. Everyone has many stereotypes associated with it that are baggage I'd rather not have.

DiamondB

Explorer
I prefer dwarves because, well ... I just prefer dwarves.

That being said, there are getting to be a number of exceptions. Prior to discovering my mini painting addiction (and the ease to which said painted minis integrate into D&D 3.5) I prefered dwarven characters. Now I I'm pretty transparent when it comes to character design, if I have a cool mini for it, that's what I'm playing. Thus I've expanded my racial choice, but I'll admit I have a large number of cool dwarf minis.

Remove ads