• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you provoke AoO's while invisible?

Elethiomel

First Post
darthkilmor said:
For instance, for moving through squares an opponent threatens?
Only if they can see you. Knowing which square you are in doesn't help. So if they have See Invisibility or Blindsight, yes. If they have Blindsense or really good Spot or Listen, no.

darthkilmor

First Post
Elethiomel said:
Only if they can see you. Knowing which square you are in doesn't help. So if they have See Invisibility or Blindsight, yes. If they have Blindsense or really good Spot or Listen, no.

Thats what I figured. So my pixie with flyby attack won't provoke AoO's when moving through squares attacking opponents. Excellent.

azhrei_fje

First Post
Unless...

... you suspect that you're being attacked by an invisible flying creature, because then you might ready an action to throw a net up into the air the next time you are attacked.

If you are attacked, and the attack misses, you might not know you've been attacked (without a high Spot or Listen roll, depending on circumstances) and hence your readied action may not go off.

If the attack does hit, your readied action could take down the flying creature as it gets tangled up in the net. Which, of course, means the attack couldn't occur, which means your readied action didn't go off. :cool:

Ah, the joys of simultaneous combat in D&D. ;)

Griego

First Post
Creatures caught in a net are not helpless, they are only entangled, which gives them a -2 on attack rolls and -4 on Dex.

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
azhrei_fje said:
... you suspect that you're being attacked by an invisible flying creature, because then you might ready an action to throw a net up into the air the next time you are attacked.
I'd just ready an action to counterattack if I sensed an attack from the invisible creature. If I'm hit, according to the invisibility rules, I know which square it's in (if it makes a melee attack without reach)—counterattack with 50% miss chance. If the creature misses, I'd expect the DM to allow a reactive (no action) DC 20 Spot check or Listen check (or maybe even both, but that's pushing it*) to sense where it is and attack in response. Two or three chances to trigger is pretty good.

As a DM, I might have the monsters do the same thing if invisible PCs are the only target options. If not, it's just better for the monster to take a shot at an easier target.

For that matter, a PC should only be readying if invisible attackers are the only targets.

If you're the only one out of several targets who's readying, the invisible guy is just going to attack someone who isn't readying. That's just playing it smart.

* There is a weirdness with the Listen skill with regard to invisibility. It takes a free action, which you can't take in conjunction with a readied standard action to attack. Still, with the default PH Listen rules and a little common sense, I'd still assume it's okay to make a reactive Listen check in this case. DC 0 to hear an invisible creature in combat, +20 to pinpoint its location.

Darklone

Honestly... screw any tactics, if you don´t know how to deal with invis creatures, you´re screwed in D&D.

Against flying pixie rogues I would suggest to ready stinking cloud spells centered on myself.

Rvdvelden

First Post
I'm playing a Pixie Warlock in one campaign, and you'd be surprised (well, not if you knew my DM) how much casters have True Seeing prepared. :p

Remove ads