• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you provoke AoO's while invisible?

Chimera

First Post
Griego said:
Creatures caught in a net are not helpless, they are only entangled, which gives them a -2 on attack rolls and -4 on Dex.

That logic flies in the face of every crappy show from the 1960's I've ever watched. We (of that generation) all know that the very moment some tiny, flimsy little net drops over your head, you fall to the ground completely helpless!

Urbannen

First Post
Where is the rule that invisible creatures don't provoke AoO's?

As long as the creature is threatened and the opponent knows which square they're in, they should provoke AoOs as normal. At least, they have in my games...

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
See the rule quoted above by Infiniti2000.
An invisible creature has full concealment and thus does not provoke AoO. Same would be true if the attacker were blinded or in complete darkness. You can't see the target, you can't get a free attack on it because it drops its guard.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
billd91 said:
An invisible creature has full concealment and thus does not provoke AoO.

Rather, he provokes AoOs, but the creatures he has full concealment against cannot execute them against him.

-Hyp.

Jin_Kataki

First Post
Wouldn't the attack portion of fly by attack negate your invisibility thus causing you to provoke an AofO when leaving your opponents threatend area?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Jin_Kataki said:
Wouldn't the attack portion of fly by attack negate your invisibility thus causing you to provoke an AofO when leaving your opponents threatend area?

If you were using the Invisibility spell, yes. But pixies don't:

Greater Invisibility (Su): A pixie remains invisible even when it attacks. This ability is constant, but the pixie can suppress or resume it as a free action.

-Hyp.

moritheil

First Post
Urbannen said:
Where is the rule that invisible creatures don't provoke AoO's?

As long as the creature is threatened and the opponent knows which square they're in, they should provoke AoOs as normal. At least, they have in my games...

(emphasis mine)

Do you give away free information on where invisible creatures are? :p

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
moritheil said:
(emphasis mine)

Do you give away free information on where invisible creatures are? :p

In 3E, when there wasn't the prohibition on AoOs vs creatures with total concealment (the Sage claimed there was in the FAQ, but it wasn't in the rules), I handled it as a metagame player decision, rather than an in-game character decision - sort of like the decision whether or not to expend a luck reroll after the die has been rolled but before the result is determined.

So I'd say "An AoO has been provoked - do you want to expend your character's AoO for the round in an attempt to take it?" And if the player said yes, he'd pick a square, and roll a miss chance, and make an attack roll... and whether or not the attack was successful (or even into the right square), the AoO would be expended. And if the attack missed in the middle of combat, then the character would never be aware that the AoO had been provoked at all.

Obviously, if the invisible creature was trying to sneak past someone and combat had not been initiated, the sneakee would be considered flat-footed and thus incapable of making an AoO... unless he had Combat Reflexes.

Which made Combat Reflexes a useful feat for a sentry, since it gave them a chance at uncannily detecting an invisible intruder - without a conscious decision on the character's part, he might lash out with a weapon at apparently empty space, only to discover that some instinct had clued him in to the invisible creature's presence...

-Hyp.

darthkilmor

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Which made Combat Reflexes a useful feat for a sentry, since it gave them a chance at uncannily detecting an invisible intruder - without a conscious decision on the character's part, he might lash out with a weapon at apparently empty space, only to discover that some instinct had clued him in to the invisible creature's presence...

"So here's your post, you'll be manning this tower here, looking out for anything trying to climb over the walls. Blow on the whistle if you see anything, then shoot it."

"Cool deal, nice crossbow. Hey, who's that guy over there with the poleax, is he a trainer?"

"Oh. Him. Thats Bob. Bob killed an invisible rogue one night, fell asleep and his weapon fell on the chap, chopped his head right off. Now he randomly attacks the air, hoping to catch another one. Yeah. Don't sneak up on him."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads