Do you read manga?

Elodan

Adventurer
I picked up my first manga series based on an older anime I liked (xxxHolic for those who are interested, just subscribed to Crunchyroll and re-watched it).

I really enjoyed the medium and am planning on grabbing some more series. Most likely going to start with Demon Slayer and Attack on Titan (bit bandwagon, but I'm really liking the anime).

What are some of your favorites?

Ulfgeir

Hero
I used to read manga way back.. My favourites:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Winds
Dominion Tank Police
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Ranma ½

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I watch more anime than I read manga, so I'm not sure if that counts (though these days, it seems like most series have an anime, manga, and light novel incarnation).

I think Overlord is one of the better series that I've seen in a while, and one of the (relatively few) gems of the isekai sub-genre. Another was Youjou Senki (marketed in America as The Saga of Tanya the Evil). Vinland Saga is a captivating piece of historical fiction. There's quite a few others; it depends on what sort of genre you favor.

I rarely read manga (but do watch a bunch of anime). Strangely, when it comes to manga, I tend to lean towards comedy versus epic or drama. Of course I read Akira when it was being published by Epic Comics, and did read the first Ghost in the Shell series. My favorite comedy ones were Sgt Frog and Dr. Slump.

EDIT: I also buy (but cannot read because my Japanese is poor) Fuuto Tantei and Kamen Rider Spirits from Japan. Just love the property so buy it to thumb through.

Scribe

Legend
Nope, sorry. I'm more a reader of typical American comics and graphic novels.

Yep. I would also wonder at the age brackets when looking for an overlap of the "gamer" and "manga fan" circles.

I've flipped through some, but I've watched more anime than read manga, but I've read more comics that both by far.

gban007

Adventurer
I read some Manga, mainly Pokemon and Junji Ito, one because I like the franchise / setting as such, the other as I like some good weird horror type stories, and Junji Ito is very good at those, planning to try Kazuo Umezu as well at some point. Tried Attack on Titan, was pretty good but quite disturbing at times, and got a bit much for me, Ito's horror is a different style of horror that I prefer I guess.
Otherwise like Umbran I tend to read more of the western comics / graphic novels, often due to wanting to read graphic novel versions or expansions of other media I like (e.g. Star Wars, Doctor Who, Dungeons and Dragons).
I'm always open to reading more Manga, just needs to be something that will interest me :)

Remove ads