Do you really like Star Wars?

What do yuo like about Star Wars?

Psychic Warrior

First Post
What I mean is - I like A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back but the rest of the movies really leave me flat. Ewoks, Jar-Jars, Clowns-er- Clones etc. just don't thrill me. The Expanded Universe had a mild appeal to me in the form of Zahn's trilogy (which he made the mistake of making a two book sequel to - bleh) but the vast majority of books in it are pure crap.

So what is it about Star Wars you like? Why?

Last edited:

There's actually very little in Star Wars that I DON'T like. Sure, there's some I don't like as much as others(Jar Jar, etc), but I don't dislike them.

The things I do reach the point of despising are a few of the novels, namely the Black Fleet Trilogy. I loved pretty much all of the novels, then read these and had to force myself through them. Heck, I didn't even mind the Jedi Academy books all that much, but the Black Fleet stuff was just painful. Hmm...maybe the reason I liked the Jedi Academy book is my being a Jacen Solo fan. :p

And on the note of Zahn's Hand of Thrawn Duology, those were insanely far from 'bleh', IMO. Amazingly good books that took it all to another level. Also was a good point for the NJO to jump off of. Though I won't talk about the NJO, as that's really a love it or hate it deal, and most of the people that hated it haven't actually read the books...(key word = most, not all)

Honestly, sometimes I feel very alone in actually liking Star Wars these days. It seems like its just become so trendy to bash Star Wars. I guess its just a vocal minority...or at least, the success of each of the prequels despite constant bashing seems to hint that.

beeber

First Post
just ep. 4 & 5 for me, mostly. i also liked some of the novels & comics but due to the sheer volume of them have steered away.

movie-wise, only those two are any good as a whole. the remaining ones (we'll see about ep. 3) have great visuals but really lame dialogue & plot elements (little anakin blows up the droid command ship! primitive ewoks defeat stormtroopers!).

there's also just too much hype around it. it doesn't appeal that much to me anymore. if others dig it & eat all of it up, that's fine tho. :\

WizarDru

Adventurer
Every movie has a few blemishes on them, although Empire has virtually none and Star Wars has only a minor quibble or two. Jedi has some less enjoyable snippets...but still is a great film. The new trilogy isn't bad, it's just not awesome....which is regrettable when they have to stand side-by-side with some of the titans of the genre, their older siblings.

You forgot to include things like the video and computer games, too...or are they included inside of the expanded universe? And how about the Clone Wars TV series (third season due soon, btw)?

Stuff like Knights of the Old Republic and Tartofsky's Clone Wars series reminded me why I love the Star Wars universe so much, after the last two movies took it for granted.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
There's actually very little in Star Wars that I DON'T like. Sure, there's some I don't like as much as others(Jar Jar, etc), but I don't dislike them.

The things I do reach the point of despising are a few of the novels, namely the Black Fleet Trilogy. I loved pretty much all of the novels, then read these and had to force myself through them. Heck, I didn't even mind the Jedi Academy books all that much, but the Black Fleet stuff was just painful. Hmm...maybe the reason I liked the Jedi Academy book is my being a Jacen Solo fan. :p

Never read the Black Fleet novels. But I did read Jedi Academy. That was where I discovered the hack writer known as Kevin J Anderson. I will hate him forever. The man is truly talentless. I assume he has naked photos opf Lucas with goats or something to keep writing SW novels.

And on the note of Zahn's Hand of Thrawn Duology, those were insanely far from 'bleh', IMO. Amazingly good books that took it all to another level. Also was a good point for the NJO to jump off of. Though I won't talk about the NJO, as that's really a love it or hate it deal, and most of the people that hated it haven't actually read the books...(key word = most, not all)

No tension. No drama. No peril. these are the things that killed the duology (is that really a word?). Thrawn was a clone - ana poorly trained one at that. He never had any menace like the original. I repeat - bleh.

Honestly, sometimes I feel very alone in actually liking Star Wars these days. It seems like its just become so trendy to bash Star Wars. I guess its just a vocal minority...or at least, the success of each of the prequels despite constant bashing seems to hint that.

Whoa! Slow down the victimization train there, Tex! I'm not trying to make anyone feel bashed upon. Up until very recently I thought I loved Star Wars. It is only in the last few months that I discovered what I really liked about it. And it turned out, much to my surprise, to be very little. As far as a vocal 'minority' goes given the huge drop in revenue Attack of the Clones experienced over Phantom Menace I would say it sits at about 30%. From www.boxofficemojo.com

Phantom Menace total gross worldwide- $924 million
Attack fo the Clones total gross worldwide - $649 million

Noone can say that both of these movies weren't financial sucesses - but that is a staggering 30% drop in revenue from one movie to the next. That could very well be the potion of the fan base alienated by the first movie - I don't know this of course but it might be a valid point.

Psychic Warrior said:
No tension. No drama. No peril. these are the things that killed the duology (is that really a word?). Thrawn was a clone - ana poorly trained one at that. He never had any menace like the original. I repeat - bleh.

Well, it was more a mystery type story than the 'typical' Star Wars. They were honestly two of the best books out there for Star Wars, but hey, its all a matter of personal opinion and taste. And actually:
Thrawn's clone never woke up. There was an actor impersonating him to assist in getting the two Imperials some power. Mara and Luke encountered one of the clones in Vision of the Future, but it was still in its growing tube

Whoa! Slow down the victimization train there, Tex! I'm not trying to make anyone feel bashed upon.

It was more a general comment than anything directed at you. :) I don't feel bashed at all, but sometimes I really do feel lonely in my enjoyment of Star Wars.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
WizarDru said:
Every movie has a few blemishes on them, although Empire has virtually none and Star Wars has only a minor quibble or two. Jedi has some less enjoyable snippets...but still is a great film. The new trilogy isn't bad, it's just not awesome....which is regrettable when they have to stand side-by-side with some of the titans of the genre, their older siblings.

You forgot to include things like the video and computer games, too...or are they included inside of the expanded universe? And how about the Clone Wars TV series (third season due soon, btw)?

Stuff like Knights of the Old Republic and Tartofsky's Clone Wars series reminded me why I love the Star Wars universe so much, after the last two movies took it for granted.

\Never really though of the computer games or Clone Wars TV series but I would probably have lumped them under the Expanded Universe. basically anything outside of the core 5 (soon to be 6) movies would be Expanded Universe under this poll's terminology.

WizarDru said:

A good point. Though I'm probably the only person out there that is bugged by KotOR. But that's just my love of the old Tales of the Jedi Comics, probably. I still can't place the game very well timeline wise, and after hearing that Bastila was originally going to be Vima Sunrider, I nearly cried.

Guess I just liked the old Jedi Order that was so much less like the Jedi in the prequels. You could really see how much had changed and what was going wrong...but KotOR took a more prequel-esque view of the Jedi. Ah well, can't really blame them.

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Well, it was more a mystery type story than the 'typical' Star Wars. They were honestly two of the best books out there for Star Wars, but hey, its all a matter of personal opinion and taste. And actually:
Thrawn's clone never woke up. There was an actor impersonating him to assist in getting the two Imperials some power. Mara and Luke encountered one of the clones in Vision of the Future, but it was still in its growing tube

It's been so long since I'd read them I had forgotten that. You're right. I still didn't like them but on the question of Tharn's clone you're right :)

It was more a general comment than anything directed at you. :) I don't feel bashed at all, but sometimes I really do feel lonely in my enjoyment of Star Wars.

OK. Good - you'd know if I was bashing you, believe me (for one thing there would be a nice custom avatar that said 'banned' under my name....
:uhoh: ). Don't let anything dull your enjoyment of Star Wars. that wasn't really the intention of this thread (really!) it was more to do with my realization of what I do/don't like about Star Wars and how much of it fell under the 'don't' side of things. :confused:

Remove ads