Do you show players monster pictures?

Bootlebat

Explorer
I usually do since in a lot of cases the description doesn't do it justice IMO (a picture is worth a thousand words after all). If they aren't supposed to know what it is yet I'll cover up the statblock though.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Yea definitely. Particularly if it’s a monster that’s “off the beaten path.” And I’ll usually time it after the description, basically around the end of round 1.

Mad_Jack

Legend
If it's not something they'd already be familiar with, especially if it's a custom thing, absolutely. Assuming I can find an image that does justice to the feel I want the monster to have.
Also, if i want my versions of the monsters to have a slightly different ambiance than the standard interpretation - i.e., if I'm running Tucker's Kobolds instead of Meepo, you can bet I'll be flashing an image that paints them more like a pack of vicious, slavering, cunning humanoid velociraptors rather than cute little anthro lizard-puppies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
More often than not, I try to have a picture or mini to show to players, at least for the more unusual stuff.

Since I tend to buy a lot of minis- and USE them- I tend to use minis more than pictures.

Tallifer

Hero
It is the best part of being a dungeon master for me!

Easy on roll20, but nowadays I can run face-to-face at my school after hours and use the overhead beam projector.

Basque.jpg

Remove ads