• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you think it is reasonable not to tip your server?

jasper

Rotten DM
I have learn to accept the receipt have the various tipping level % and amount. Ticked me off for years, until I discovered my wife had trouble figuring 10% in her head.

I recently saw an article stating that the average tip seems to be trending 20%. What you're at is in line with what's expected, I guess.
Whenever I get a check that has the tipping %s on it, it usually goes from 15% - 22%.

But yeah, if these people just got paid a livable wage to begin with ...
Then you'd have to pay moe for the meal, and there would be a rebellion if that were to happen.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Imagine the riots at McDonald's...

They would last 5 minutes and than all the fatties would be out of breath.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Whenever I get a check that has the tipping %s on it, it usually goes from 15% - 22%.

Yeah, I think that's how it is here, too - been a while since I went somewhere where they automatically charge a gratuity.

Then you'd have to pay moe for the meal, and there would be a rebellion if that were to happen.

Meh, people like us - you know, classy doods on the way up - already assume that a tip of 20% or so is part of the cost of the meal. Us gentlemen wouldn't bat an eye.

Imagine the riots at McDonald's...

They would last 5 minutes and than all the fatties would be out of breath.

Tee hee.

Herschel

Adventurer
Cornell, which has the most highly regarded hospitality degree program in the US, has studied tipping extensively. Guess how much the guest's perception of the quality of service affects the tip... About 4%. That's not 4% of the bill, mind you, which would be substantial, it's 4% of the tip itself. Apparently if you're a young, blonde, white, female server with a large chest, that's worth a lot more than the diner's perceived quality of service.

Yeah, this one really bugs the shiznit out of me. I generally avoid chain restaurants like the plague, but I've been a waiter, bartender and FOH manager in my past and while it seems seems the indy restaurants it sometimes goes better but the phenomena is still there. I also saw it when I was a DJ and manager at a Gentlemen's Club where the attentive, attractive-but-unenhanced 28-year-old great dancer made less money than the aloof 19-year old balloonatic with her slow-motion seizures.

The other thing that bugs me is when something is dropped and people sarcastically applaud. That would be a good example of disobeying Wheaton's Law.

Enforcer

Explorer
I've had someone clap when I dropped a glass and I flat-out told them to "grow up" in a voice loud enough for everyone around that jerk to hear. My manager then high-fived me in front of the guy. This was not at one of my high-end employers, of course, but it was still pretty awesome.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The other thing that bugs me is when something is dropped and people sarcastically applaud.

Hm. While I don't do it, I was told it was a superstition. You're doing so to avert further bad luck, akin to clapping to ward off gremlins or demons.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, that's a pretty common worldwide custom, and I've never seen it meant nastily or sarcastically. It's just what you do when someone drops a glass or something, like saying "bless you" if they sneeze. if a waiter had a go at me for it, I think that might affect any tip I was considering. I dont' expect to be chastised for following common social conventions by the staff of restaurants I'm eating in!

Remove ads