• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you think we'll see revised core books in 2024? (And why I think we will)

Do you think we'll see revised core rulebooks in 2024? And if so, which option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeviat

Hero
Were you guys around for the 30th anniversary?

How about the 40th anniversary?

So...what is the thinking that the 50th is going to be any different?
2014 they released 5E and had a bit of a 40th anniversary celebration.

3.5 was 2003, so it was early for the 30th. I don't remember any particular fanfare on the WotCommunity boards for the 30th, but I was really new to the online community then.

Sithlord

Adventurer
WotC staff have said too many times since the release of 5E that they were not going to change the core in a way that would make players buy new copies of the books. And I remember lots of talk about making 5E evergreen too.
Yup. That’s why in 2024 it will be 6E and it will be as different (less) as 2E was from 1E.

In the early 1970s, CBS famously cancelled their entire line-up of rural sitcoms, like Green Acres, which were all ratings leaders, because they saw that demographic change was about to make the suburbs and city living the focus for most of American life. They shifted to shows like All in the Family and its 10 million spin-offs and dominated the next decade's ratings once again.
Great
Do you see a major demographic change looming that would necessitate changing DnD with a new edition?

Sithlord

Adventurer
Great
Do you see a major demographic change looming that would necessitate changing DnD with a new edition?
Um... millennials and gen-z have very different tastes and values than gen-x and boomers. I don’t even understand them when it comes to morality, ethics, politics, and human rights. So i kinda just stay out of those conversations to keep my job and not get banned from board. But these changes will logically be reflected as time goes forward into products. That’s my opinion. Won’t expand on it because I don’t want banned. And it’s just an observation and not a critique. But change will happen.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Um... millennials and gen-z have very different tastes and values than gen-x and boomers. I don’t even understand them when it comes to morality, ethics, politics, and human rights. So i kinda just stay out of those conversations to keep my job and not get banned from board. But these changes will logically be reflected as time goes forward into products. That’s my opinion. Won’t expand on it because I don’t want banned. And it’s just an observation and not a critique. But change will happen.
I'd say a lot of the changes D&D has had over the life of this edition have been driven by an increasingly young audience, even in apolitical areas as art style. (You wouldn't have seen art like is in the third party Seas of Vodari if the product was created for Generation X or Baby Boomer gamers, for instance.)

Yes. And Millennials and Zoomers are half the audience
They don't need a new edition to reach them. They already have one they want

A 6th Edition for a new audience with new tastes won't be needed until the bulk of Generation Alpha (2010s to mid-2020s) reaches High School and College years in the 2030s

Sithlord

Adventurer
I'd say a lot of the changes D&D has had over the life of this edition have been driven by an increasingly young audience, even in apolitical areas as art style. (You wouldn't have seen art like is in the third party Seas of Vodari if the product was created for Generation X or Baby Boomer gamers, for instance.)
Right now it is gen-x and boomers writing for millennials and gen z. Pretty soon it will be millennials and gen z doing most of the writing. Things will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads