Do you use 4e's default setting?

Mallus

Legend
Our group uses a homebrew setting that contains bits of the 4e implied setting that we used as seed crystals to grow a towering structure crafted from our own awesome imaginations. And I say this with all humility (absent).

Click the 2nd link in my .sig to read about the setting. Go on, it's been a while since anyone said anything nice about it...

LostSoul

Adventurer
I am using the default setting. We haven't really used the setting; we haven't dealt with what it means to have a fallen empire, the points-of-light, the Feywild and the Shadowfell, but I'm hoping to get into that more and more as the campaign grows.

Remathilis

Legend
I updated some of my old homebrew (used extensively in 2nd, off-and-on in 3rd) to conform to the default assumptions. For example.

I shook up the default pantheon (something I tend to do often, often ret-con style) so conform with the portfolios (but not the names nor necessarily the alignments) of the core deities.

The feywild mysteriously became coterminous with the material plane again after centuries, and eladrin appeared. They offered succor to the elves of the land, and many (mostly old gray elves) went with them. In a 100 years, they formed the current eladrin race (and those elves who stayed behind became the 4e elf race, but are closer to a high/sylvan mix).

My current cosmology was superficially similar to the default D&D one that only a few other nip/tucks (where the Abyss was, elemental limbo) didn't matter. Using the cosmology as-is, with different outer-planes to reflect my deities.

dragonborn came sailing from east, refugees from a fallen empire. Beyond no dragonborn/tiefling wars, they are pretty much as is.

I had a race of undead-human hybrids magically created by an insane necromancer who fancied himself a god. It got little play (one PC, and not for long) and never was resolved. It took nothing to change "undead" to "devil" to account for the new tieflings. Surprisingly, most of the planescape-like tieflings we had fit the general description of the current tieflings (horns, tails) so only a few tweaks were needed to account for them.

The backstories of many monsters didn't matter much; giants never got much play before, so the giant/titan thing wasn't a bother. The angels vs. devas thing was similar.

Lastly, I had always intended to "PoL" my world, so I took a 125 year jump (oddly I created the idea BEFORE I saw the Realms was doing the same) to smooth over the world. I did a "almost cataclysm" which left the world intact but fallen, and allowed my to implement some of the above changes.

Generally, I was happy with the 4e changes to the default and they fit my world well. Too bad my players disproved of 4e's actual play... :(

garyh

First Post
My two main 4e focuses so far have been playing in my wife's Scales of War game, which she's running as is with the default setting elements, and playing/DMing/judging/creating Living 4th Edition, where we have a communally created original shared setting.

So I'm on both extremes. :)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I always use homebrew settings, but I take elements either partially or wholesale from the default setting.

So, there will probably be some manner of Feywild, some manner of Shadowfell, etc. I almost always if having a planar campaign will have Sigil. But overall I homebrew, and my homebrew settings well to say they don't fit generic fantasy is a under-statement.

As for mechanics with some fluff, as long as the fluff doesn't actually interact with the mechanics and the fluff is just there. I am perfectly fine with it and just strip out the fluff. Hell even mechanics from campaign settings I just strip away the fluff, ie; the FR backgrounds.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I updated some of my old homebrew (used extensively in 2nd, off-and-on in 3rd) to conform to the default assumptions. For example.

I shook up the default pantheon (something I tend to do often, often ret-con style) so conform with the portfolios (but not the names nor necessarily the alignments) of the core deities.

------

My current cosmology was superficially similar to the default D&D one that only a few other nip/tucks (where the Abyss was, elemental limbo) didn't matter. Using the cosmology as-is, with different outer-planes to reflect my deities.

---------

The backstories of many monsters didn't matter much; giants never got much play before, so the giant/titan thing wasn't a bother. The angels vs. devas thing was similar.

---------

Lastly, I had always intended to "PoL" my world.

Generally, I was happy with the 4e changes to the default and they fit my world well. Too bad my players disproved of 4e's actual play... :(

I found it easier to trim your reply than type my own. Well said sir...

Aristotle

First Post
I use the default setting; and will continue to do so so long as it remains generic enough for me to mold it to my vision. I *love* my take on the default setting. I'm sure it would put others to sleep, but it keeps me happy. :)

Wormwood

Adventurer
*Love* the dafult setting (something I never thought I'd say about D&D).

Currently, I'm running a Scales of War campaign---which I play as a continent away from the DMG's Elsir Vale.

the Jester

Legend
I use a homebrew, but have imported elements of the default setting. I shook up my cosmology at the end of my 3.5 campaign, using a high-level one shot planar adventure I ran at a convention as the crux point (involving the Wand of Orcus, the remnants of Acererak's Phylactery of the Apotheosis, etc), and now I use the default cosmology- although I've left definite room for tweaks.

Cities, geography, etc- I'll prolly use a little here and there; but then, I have the village of Hommlet, the town of Nulb and others in my campaign anyhow.

Remove ads