Do you use 4e's default setting?

TwinBahamut

First Post
I really don't know whether I am using the default setting or not in my current campaign... I mean, I am using the same pantheon (somewhat), I have not yet directly contradicted a lot of the default timeline, and I have not explicitly excluded any elements of the default setting, but at the same time I really don't see myself ever actually making use of the default setting material. I love designing settings too much.

To be perfectly honest, I don't think I have read a lot of the setting detail in the DMG. I can't recall much from it.

Still, I can see myself using setting details from the default setting far more easily than I would ever have used a traditional published setting, because it is so undefined and flexible.

Jack99

Adventurer
I created a homebrew world while 4e was in beta and I have incorporate most of (90%+) of the info we have been given about the default setting. A few things have been changed slightly to conform to decisions made before the information was released.

I like the framework full of hooks, without all the (for me) unnecessary baggage which follows with fully fleshed out settings.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
No.

My Homebrew has become the default world for one group (do you know how weird it is to play in your world when someone else is DMing it?).

The other group uses a mix of various homebrews, FR, and Eberron, depending on who's running.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Our DM uses his own version of the material plane, but everything else (planes, pantheons, etc.) are cribbed from the default setting.

I don't use the default setting, but the Homebrew setting I use is so close that with handful of name-changes for deities and planes it may as well be.

Sometimes I might pull something from the core fluff (like an NPC calling herself the Raven Queen) but for the most part, I continue to use the homebrew setting I threw together pre-4E.

I find the 4E fluff is good for a DM getting in to the hobby and who has not learned how to efficiently create a setting. Plus, it's easy to learn. (no bizzaro-elements other than the bad compound-word naming schemes) I would use the 4E setting if I didn't have something I am more familiar with and more invested in.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
I find the 4E fluff is good for a DM getting in to the hobby and who has not learned how to efficiently create a setting. Plus, it's easy to learn. (no bizzaro-elements other than the bad compound-word naming schemes) I would use the 4E setting if I didn't have something I am more familiar with and more invested in.
I agree. I chose Eberron for my first ongoing campaign, and I now regret choosing such a cosmopolitan setting with so many proper names to learn that should already be known by most of its inhabitants. I wish I had begun with a points-of-light setting, and the default one seems fine.

The Little Raven

First Post
We are currently running in "the World." We're getting a feel for the game, so we like dropping names from the books and throwing in references (our tiefling uses phrases like "by the baleful furnaces of Vor Kragal!") to distant places and times in the core setting. We started out in the Nentir Vale, but since moved on to other places, most recently the valley of Barovia.

haaz

First Post
I am playing in the Scarred Lands. It gave us a lot of work to convert 3.5 characters into 4E characters (unfortunately, we had a monk in the team), but we did it ^^

The current setting is a second Divine War. It is more chaotic than the first : some gods and titans are allies to protect Denev, the other titans have allied themselves against the others, and some gods want to destroy all (ok, only Vangal... ^^) The slaracians are coming out too, because it's no fun when there is no slaracians. The Penumbral Pentagon has snatched several major cities into the Planes of Shadow (Mithril, Shelzar, Bridged City, and a few more), and Lucian Daine has become really powerful (he wants to replace Nemorga, Otossal and Belsameth as god of death).

Remove ads