Do you use a Discord voice changer for online play?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Inspired by this video, and how many online games I'm running nowadays (about two a month, with the potential for more).

I am an Old and don't know enough about Discord (aka the fun Slack) to know much about voice changer apps, beyond that they exist. (And no, I wouldn't use them constantly -- like in the video, they'd be for BBEGs and the like, to keep it special.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Our GM in the Savage Worlds group sometimes uses them - I think he has them integrated into his general audio setup. However, that's really just once in a while since they can make it hard to understand what he is saying.
Yeah, I would definitely want to test it out before using it in-game. I have some players with old ears, and if it just comes off as "ARGLE BARGLE BARGLE," it's not worth doing.

I'm already pretty good with funny voices, as needed, but I can't do, say, an echo effect on my own, and was thinking that would be fun to do for various liches and such.

kronovan

Adventurer
I own VoiceMod which integrates with Discord. I've occasionally used it while using Discord for voice comms to support one of my VTTs. My players haven't had issues with it. It runs via its own app and it's very easy to toggle the modified voice on and off. I'm the one that's had problems with it, because very few of the included, modified voices are suitable for TTRPG NPCs. So for something that sounds humanoid and relatively natural, you have to create your own voice mod which isn't so easy to do. It's more than a decent tool though if you want to do voices for weird aliens or monsters.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I looked into a couple products about two years ago. One of which, I would need to Google to find it again--I forget the name, works runs on your local computer and so will work with any audio output (Edit: looked it up: Voice Mod - https://www.voicemod.net/). But I didn't want to add even more digital-control overhead. Kinda the same experience for me as ambient music and sound effect products like Battle Bards and Syrinscape. It was fun to play around with for a session or two, but I ended up paring things back to the basics.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I now handle the music/sound effects issues by embedding Michael Ghelfi soundscapes from YouTube into a Google Sheets slideshow, with a different page for each section of the adventure and just advance through them as appropriate. It works great and greatly reduces cognitive load, freeing me up for a bit more special effects.

But in this case, I'm only envisioning using Voice Mod or the like for BBEGs or the like, so it wouldn't be an issue during most of the game in any case.

Remove ads