• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you use Intelligent Magical Items in your campaign?

Do you use Intelligent Magical Items in your Campaign World?

• Yes

Votes: 34 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Very rarely

Votes: 37 46.3%
  • What's that?

Votes: 0 0.0%

EvilPheemy

First Post
Being an old fan of the Elric books.

Yep, there are intelligent magic items in my campaign. Now that I have my greedy lil' hands on Monte Cook's Book of Eldritch Might II my players will experience the joy of encountering self-aware SPELLS

shilsen

Adventurer
I think every campaign I've DM-ed has had an intelligent magical item (not necessarily a weapon) in it. But never more than one, otherwise (as Crothian pointed out) they become run-of-the-mill and I don't want that. Not like the DMG, which says that 15% of melee weapons are intelligent!

alsih2o

First Post
we have 1, an intelligent giant hating sword. like most of the powerful weapons in our campaign, it is currrently being handled by an n.p.c. :)

Sarellion

Explorer
We have one talking intelligent sword in the hands of one player in our campaign. We got our hands on another one recently but it was just for one adventure.

Celebrim

Legend
Virtually every serious magic item in the campaign is at least minimally intelligent. I have whole kingdoms that revolve around intelligent magic items. One of the most important myth narratives in the campaign involves intelligent magic items. Heck, the planet itself is by some myth narratives an intelligent magic item.

Dang I wish I had had the time to submit my setting. :p

Mercule

Adventurer
Yup.

Currently the only magic item that I've doled out is the intelligent Deck of Illusions. Believe me, that's one magic item that's both overjoyed and seriously depressed about getting used.

Unfortunately, I gave it to a player who has only used one card, and only left that out for 3 rounds. *sigh* There will be a lecture next time the deck gets used (from the deck).

Olive

Explorer
well, the rogue in my old camaign where i was a player had a +3 intelligent dagger, that allowed the bearer to see invisibility... but it was LE and extremely bloodthirsty...

good fun all round...

Cedric

First Post
Cedric of Boccob has one.

An intelligent Boccob's Blessed Book with:

Int 19
Wis 13
Cha 15

He has the powers to allow the user to:
See invisibility at Will
Detect Magic at Will
Become invisible 3 times per day for 30 minutes

He knows Common, celestial, draconic and elven, along with telepathy and spoken language.

Furthermore, I additionally enchanted him with an Unseen servant spell on a command word.

We do research in the library together and Locheby (the name of the book) uses Unseen Servants to fetch tomes and such for him. Also to carry him around when we go places.

Cedric

Remove ads