• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you use the flanking rule?

Eubani

Legend
I am thinking of trialing an idea that flanking and other advantageous situations that deserve something but not advantage of adding +1d4 damage. This is a nice small extra but wont cause issues with BA that attack bonuses do. The one thing I am not sure about is if this should only be suffered 1/turn or once per situation or some other limitation on how often.

jmoolaman

First Post
Yes we do. But we really shouldn't. My GWM was going to be powerful as is, but with flanking added I can kill a giant in SKT in two rounds. It is way too powerful for the GMW build.

ScaleyBob

Explorer
I use it. In fact until I read this I hadn't even thought about not using it.

Now I am wondering if it does have a bad effect on combat - the conga line of death, the ease at which people move around each other making it so easy to get, and the tag teaming to get it.

I might have to try a couple of sessions without, and see how it goes.

Shiroiken

Legend
Just as a note, the rogue can already get its sneak attack damage as long as another ally is within 5 feet of the target.
I'm aware, but Advantage increases the chance of their one attack hitting for Sneak Attack. Most melee rogues I've seen use TWF because they want to make sure they hit at least once. This bothers some players since it takes away from Cunning Action.

fjw70

Adventurer
Dntbknow whT the optional rule is but my group grants advantage if you attack from behind the creature and it is wngagesd to someone in front of it.

Arial Black

Adventurer
I'm aware, but Advantage increases the chance of their one attack hitting for Sneak Attack. Most melee rogues I've seen use TWF because they want to make sure they hit at least once. This bothers some players since it takes away from Cunning Action.

The rogue can use its action to attack with a light melee weapon in one hand. If it hits, use Cunning Action. If it misses, use TWF.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
Our group tried it, found it trivialized advantage, so we toyed with other effects (e.g. you can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature you are flanking makes a ranged attack or casts a spell).

Sacrosanct

Legend
Do you just flip a coin?

Heads PCs win here's some treasure, tails roll up some new characters?

No, but I come from an era where almost everything that needed a roll came down to an attack roll or ability check*--two very simple mechanics without worrying about a bunch of modifiers. Wanted to leap from the balcony, swing on the chandelier, and land on the opposite side of the room? Dex check. Want to try to disarm or trip the opponent? Attack roll and then make the opponent make a dex check. Want to distract the target by taunting? Cha check. Want to attack wildly for extra damage? Penalty to your attack roll (something like -1 to hit for every +2 damage). Things like that. And with advantage in 5e, it's a really simple single rule that can apply to a lot of scenarios.

*ability checks back then were roll a d20 and get your ability score or lower to succeed. No math involved.

Remove ads