• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do you use the flanking rule?

Our weekly gaming group has used flanking since we started playing over a year ago. While it really hasn't made combat unnecessarily complicated, I certainly wouldn't miss it.

I'll be DM'ing for a separate group in the upcoming months and plan on leaving it out for many of the reasons others have stated. It seems to trivialize other abilities that grant advantage. Also, we have crits dropping constantly in combat, which is fine if that's your thing. I'd rather them be a little less commonplace.

Add to that, yeah, we see some really goofy maneuvering during combat. The aforementioned "conga line of death" is not uncommon.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Nope. I'm burnt out on rules complexity and having to look things up. I'm actually seriously considering switching to Fate, but using D&D sources to fuel my game, just to simplify the rules framework.

FATE is a good game, its my alternate go to.

Remove ads