Doctor Who: Robot of Sherwood (SPOILERS)

Nellisir

Hero
I liked it. The spoon bit was silly, but every episode of Who has silly in it, and this was, for a change, appropriate. Usually the silly comes right when things are getting tense. The bit with the gold arrow was facepalm, but I'm not sure it was less so than a sonic screwdriver making haybales explode. This felt like it had more...heart. More hope. The Doctor educates someone else, and in the process, educates himself. Heroes indeed.

MarkB

Legend
There was a bit cut from the episode for sensitivity reasons given recent news where the Sheriff gets beheaded and revealed to be a robot.

Hmm, I wonder whether that's why we were missing Missy this week? Maybe the Sheriff would have gone to 'Heaven', but the scene wouldn't have made sense without the decapitation.

nerfherder

Explorer
I was disappointed with this episode, for the same reasons already given. When I saw the gold arrow, I actually hoped that the robots were being hunted down by cybermen.

Cool Troughton spot!

delericho

Legend
When I saw the gold arrow, I actually hoped that the robots were being hunted down by cybermen.

Yep, I had that thought, too.

The spoon bit was silly, but every episode of Who has silly in it, and this was, for a change, appropriate.

My biggest problem with the spoon bit was that that's the second show starring Peter Capaldi to do the "duel with cutlery" bit - "The Musketeers" did it in the first episode, albeit with a fork instead. It was stupid then; it's no less stupid now, just less original.

nerfherder

Explorer
Yep, I had that thought, too.
It was so obvious that I wonder if it was originally in the script as a red herring, to make the audience think: "robots and gold - must be a cyberman story".

My partner, who is more of a casual watcher and didn't really enjoy the first two episodes, enjoyed this week's episode.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah, we thought Cybermen, too.

I do wonder if crashed spaceships full of disguised robots trying to reach the Promised Land is a theme in some way? It featured in the 1st and 3rd episodes, but not in the Dalek episode.

Janx

Hero
Yeah, we thought Cybermen, too.

I do wonder if crashed spaceships full of disguised robots trying to reach the Promised Land is a theme in some way? It featured in the 1st and 3rd episodes, but not in the Dalek episode.

the wierd thing is that 2 ships crashed in england, with the exact same goal.

Something's dodgy. It's possible that the Sherriff IS the bad guy from the 1st episode, and that the doctor has encountered him in reverse.

The whole gold thing has logic holes. Is it shielding? logic circuits? or fuel? In the end, they acted like it was fuel. They poured it like it was circuits. They talked about it like it was shielding.

And they left a ton of it molten with a dead sheriff in it.

Felon

First Post
I was disappointed with this episode, for the same reasons already given. When I saw the gold arrow, I actually hoped that the robots were being hunted down by cybermen.

Cool Troughton spot!

Armed with gold and fashioning them into arrows, I thought they'd be more likely to be hunting the cybermen than vice-versa. Hearkens back to Silver Nemesis, one of my favorite serials from my favorite doctor.

Last edited:

Yeah it was a very silly episode, very disappointed so far. I thought they was supposed to be going in a darker, more "growd up" direction? Maybe the next episode will be better?

Remove ads