Doctor Who s08e09 Flatlines - SPOILERS

Ryujin

Legend
I loved this episode! I especially enjoyed the Doctor plausibly passing things (like a sledgehammer) to Clara from inside her purse, and - best of all - the Doctor "hand-walking" the TARDIS out of danger. And was that the first time we've seen the TARDIS in its non-chameleon-circuited cube shape? It looked rather a bit like the Pandorica.

Johnathan

That it looked rather like The Pandorica occurred to me also.

Can't remember what Clara said to The Doctor before he finger-walked the TARDIS. I think it was Addams Family related.

Nellisir

Hero
I liked it. Top 2 this season, probably.
I just checked, and yeah, the pandorica and the siege mode of the Tardis are very similar. Cubes with circles on 'em. Kinda makes sense; if nothing can get in or out of the TARDIS in siege mode, that's basically your Pandorica right there.

MarkB

Legend
Seemed an odd reference for a UK show. Were the original series or the more recent movies very popular over there?

The Addams Family is one of those shows that was frequently on kids' daytime TV when I was growing up, though at the time I tended not to distinguish between it and The Munsters.

I seem to recall the first movie doing well. I certainly enjoyed it at the time.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
It has been strongly suggested that Missy is the "tech support" woman who gave Clara the Doctor's phone number back in "The Bells of Saint John." If that is so, one would assume that Missy did not just pick someone at random to give it out to...

Janx

Hero
It was bound to happen that somebody would impersonate the Doctor, might as well be Clara with the real Doctor on comms the whole time as The Consultant.

Now at the end, he refused to say she did "good". Was it because he didn't like that she lied or as he did say it was Exceptional, that he didn't like what he saw of himself by her performance as him?

the disappointing bits for me were:
a) clara had the sonic screwdriver most of the time, and here at the end, it is the thing that saves the day. Makes all that running around a waste of time.

b) the doctor's efforts to communicate first were good, and then at the end, the whole thing is moot and he goes into destroyer mode. It just seems like the lesson being taught here is that communicating was a waste of time, and go with your Kill instinct. For all the ground work being laid out as to what's going on, it just seems a sloppy resolution to what should have been a final layer to the puzzle on how to communicate

Ryujin

Legend
It was bound to happen that somebody would impersonate the Doctor, might as well be Clara with the real Doctor on comms the whole time as The Consultant.

Now at the end, he refused to say she did "good". Was it because he didn't like that she lied or as he did say it was Exceptional, that he didn't like what he saw of himself by her performance as him?

the disappointing bits for me were:
a) clara had the sonic screwdriver most of the time, and here at the end, it is the thing that saves the day. Makes all that running around a waste of time.

b) the doctor's efforts to communicate first were good, and then at the end, the whole thing is moot and he goes into destroyer mode. It just seems like the lesson being taught here is that communicating was a waste of time, and go with your Kill instinct. For all the ground work being laid out as to what's going on, it just seems a sloppy resolution to what should have been a final layer to the puzzle on how to communicate

To me it seemed that he wouldn't refer to how she did as being 'good' because it was a 'necessary' act, rather than a 'good' act.

Remove ads