Doctor Who s8e7 - Kill The Moon

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
While the spider FX was cool, I thought it was lame that they were really bacteria. Giant bacteria should look like giant bacteria. Giant spiders should really be giant spiders. It's like the FX department came up with one idea and the writing department wrote something else, and they just rolled with it.

I'm going to guess that they had the VFX for giant spiders lying around, and re-purposed it. Standard BBC procedure, like a nod to the old days, really :)

Nellisir

Hero
I couldn't get past the idiocy of the whole moon mass/density/gravity thing. And the spider/bacteria. There's making stuff up, and then there's just absolutely not caring.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm really enjoying this Capaldi Doctor. I find his nature interesting and charming in its irascibility (reminiscent of Hartnell). A complete contrast in my mind to Colin Baker whose doctor was so annoyingly horrible without redeeming features that it drove me away from doctor who!

Mallus

Legend
I'm really enjoying this Capaldi Doctor. I find his nature interesting and charming in its irascibility (reminiscent of Hartnell). A complete contrast in my mind to Colin Baker whose doctor was so annoyingly horrible without redeeming features that it drove me away from doctor who!
Absolutely. Peter Capaldi also stands in contrast with Smith's Doctor.

Capaldi is very charismatic without (necessarily) being charming. Which makes him perfect for the kind of exploration of the Doctor-as-a-character that Moffat & Co. are engaging in, the deconstruction and then reconstruction of a cultural icon hero. They tried to do the same with Matt Smith's Doctor, but it just works better with Capaldi (the move away from the frenetic pacing and direction helps, too).

Kaychsea

Explorer
I thought it interesting that it was all basically Clara's fault. From wanting the Doctor to tell the girl that she was special, he didn't want to lie to her so made her special. Giving Clara the answers she wanted would have negated all that. A nice example of a straightforward request having completely unexpected consequences.

Remove ads