• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doctor Who Season 3 Speculation [SPOILERS]

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Marking this spoilers just in case, even though it's only speculation.

In any event, as we wait another week (grr!) for the next installment, I thought I'd speculate a bit on the future of the series. Specifically, the words of the Face of Boe.

As we all know, the Face's last words to the Doctor were "You are not alone." Now, there is speculation that the Master will be returning (possibly played by John Simm), which is awesome, as I love the character and John Simm is a great actor.

I'd be very disappointed, however, if it turns out that that is what the Face of Boe was referring to. For one thing, I'd hate to think that his last words (presumably of comfort) to the Doctor were some kind of cryptic warning, and for another, if that's the case- then why didn't he warn the Doctor back in Season 1, you know- give him more of a heads up? As cool as it would be to see the return of the Master, it just kind of rubs me the wrong way that the only reason he's "not alone" is due to having a megalomaniacal nemesis of his race still kicking around out there.

So I got to thinking- what if the Face's last words were of comfort? That there are other survivors of Gallifrey out there that he was referring to in his words to the Doctor. That the first of them happens to be the Master that the Doctor encounters is just happenstance (or design, depending on the Master's intentions), but that in the exchange between the Doctor and the Master it comes out that there are others, and now the Doctor has hope that he can find them, and perhaps restore his people once more?

Edit: Fixed typo in title - Eridanis

Last edited by a moderator:

horacethegrey

First Post
I'd like to think so too. It'd be a huge comfort for the Doctor if some of his people were still out there. Maybe that's the planned overall plot for Season 4, the Doctor searches for the rest of the Timelords? :)

On another note, still have to wait one more week for the new episode. :mad: Stupid Eurovision Song Contest.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
horacethegrey said:
I'd like to think so too. It'd be a huge comfort for the Doctor if some of his people were still out there. Maybe that's the planned overall plot for Season 4, the Doctor searches for the rest of the Timelords? :)
Well, the Face of Boe said that the Doctor was the last of his kind and that he was not alone. Not sure what that means. It's entirely possible that the Master (if the rumours are correct and he is going to put in an appearance) is no longer classed as a Time Lord. Certainly after what he went through on the animal planet at the end of the classic series, and then the morphant life-form that he became for the TV movie, it could be said that he is something else now.

It's a vain hope, but I am hoping that Susan puts in an appearance :).

Stupid Eurovision Song Contest.
Ridiculous display. And that singer from Moldova with the cool pants didn't even win! A travesty!

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Brown Jenkin said:
Well Romana could still be around in e-space.

In the books - which have not been entirely disowned by the show - she comes back and is President over Gallifrey when a war with the Dalak breaks out.

horacethegrey

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
Well Romana could still be around in e-space.
Just watched one of the Doctor's adventures with her in e-space, the utterly boring State of Decay. :\ After the wonderful City of Death, I was expecting more of the same. Guess I was wrong.

Oh, and did I mention I hate Adric? ;)

The Grumpy Celt said:
In the books - which have not been entirely disowned by the show - she comes back and is President over Gallifrey when a war with the Dalak breaks out.
Which books in particular? I'm currently collecting the Eighth Doctor Adventures and am wondering where she appears in the series.

Back to the subject at hand, if Romana were to return, who would you cast? Lalla Ward was wonderful in the role (don't know about Mary Tamm, haven't seen her yet), so those are pretty big shoes to fill for any young actress.

Mark Hope said:
It's a vain hope, but I am hoping that Susan puts in an appearance :) .
It'd be awesome if Carole Anne Ford appeared again in the role. It'd be also funny to see Martha's reaction at the Doctor having a granddaughter. :p

Remathilis

Legend
Remember, the full text of the line is "You are the last of the Time Lords, but know this: you are not alone"

The last episode (13) is called "The Last of the Time Lords"

its the episode with Simm in it. (as Saxon).

However, its possible (as least rumored on Outpost Gallifrey) that it could be the Monk (obscure) and even an alternate Doctor (Valeyard?) but I do think its everyone's favorite camp villian, the Master.

sniffles

First Post
horacethegrey said:
Which books in particular? I'm currently collecting the Eighth Doctor Adventures and am wondering where she appears in the series.
Romana appears in the 8th Doctor novels Interference 1 & 2.

Romana also puts in an appearance in a couple of the 8th Doctor audio adventures.

Just weighing in on the topic of discussion: I don't think the Face of Boe meant there are other Time Lords out there. He didn't say, "You are not the last." He said, "You are not alone." Doesn't mean the same thing. The Doctor just seems to be interpreting it that way, despite his denial that it could be possible.

I don't really want the Master back. Or Romana, or any other Time Lord, much as I like them all. I'd like to see something new. A lot of the focus of the new series has been exploring the Doctor's personality more, making him more three-dimensional than he's ever been before. When did any of the previous incarnations of the Doctor even mention former companions, let alone miss them? I think the intent of Boe's statement is to make the Doctor realize he has friends and family, even if they're not related to him in any way.

I'm really interested to see some of the later episodes. Looking at the long trailer they ran at the end of 'The Lazarus Experiment', there are scenes of the Doctor with some sort of device on his head, screaming. Then later there's a scene of him asking Martha if she really knows this Doctor, or something like that. And I've seen another trailer in which he turns to Martha and says, "I am not the Doctor", plus a clip of what appears to be the Doctor getting married but it's all in soft focus like a flashback. I suspect all those clips are from the same episode and I'm really curious about what's going on there.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
sniffles said:
I don't really want the Master back.

I think the Master may be back because he is too iconic not to bring back. And it would be a cruel irony that the Doctor is not alone, but the one who is around is his greatest single enemy.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
horacethegrey said:
Oh, and did I mention I hate Adric? ;)

I think I'm in the minority here, but Adric was always one of my favorite companions of the Doctor's. Maybe it has something to do with him being one of the first I ever saw (if not *the* first- I'm not entirely sure who I saw first.)

Remove ads