• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Does a game like this exist?

am181d

Adventurer
I consider Mutants and Masterminds 2e to be pretty rules-light, with very robust customization. While it is not, strictly speaking, a fantasy rpg, it can be used for such pretty easily, even without the fantasy flavored genre book.

Well, Green Ronin also makes True20, which I believe borrows quite a bit from M&M but is explicitly a fantasy RPG. These rules are adapted from their earlier Blue Rose RPG. I haven't played it, but I'm a big fan of the M&M rules, so it's probably worth taking a look at.

rkwoodard

First Post
WOD Hack

Hello,

I have not tried this, but I think, that World of Darkness Core, hacked to Fantasy would be great. Here is what you might need:

1) Core Rules, but strip out Morality altogether, change some of the skill names.
2) Second Sight Book. (a smallish book that gives minor and mid-major mind and magic powers)
3) Get the pdf of Mirrors. This is a system book that walks you through how to change the system. Not really needed, but a really nice book of ideas, that includes a Fantasy Hack already built for you.

RK

Agamon

Adventurer
I consider Mutants and Masterminds 2e to be pretty rules-light, with very robust customization. While it is not, strictly speaking, a fantasy rpg, it can be used for such pretty easily, even without the fantasy flavored genre book.

M&M is rules lite? Is the sample for comparison Rolemaster and Runequest? :)

wolfpunk

First Post
In "customization", do you mean fluff, or crunch?

Old School Hack allows you to customize to your heart's content, but that customization will largely be fluff - for example, you can have any weapon you want, but it will be mechanically identical to other weapons of its same general size. Huge frikkin' axe is the same as huge frikkin' hammer is the same as huge frikkin' sword. As far as the game is concerned, a bow and arrow is the same as a wand of magic missiles - a ranged weapon is a ranged weapon, and that's all.

I have been surprised how often the lack crunch difference ends up not mattering much to the player.

I agree with this completely. My Battlejack set up is definitely rules-lite. 16 pages or so total by using this method. Each fighter is completely customized to do what you want as closely as is allowed by the rules, and then themed to be what you want "fluff-wise."

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Griffins & Grottos, which is due out very soon, is a fairly rules-lite Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System with very broad levels of customization.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Warning: shameless self-plug alert!

As others have said, it depends on your interpretation of rules-light, but you might want to check out my game, Spellbound Kingdoms. One of the design goals I had while making it was to provide lots of customization (I wanted people to be able to "play" the game of character advancement at home, with just the book) while keeping things very rules-light at the table.

For example, you can choose from a couple dozen fighting and magic styles, with a dozen maneuvers or spells each, and varying degrees of mastery. But when you sit down to play at the table, you never add or subtract any modifiers. The number on the die is the result of the roll, period.

I myself would call SK rules-medium, but I often get feedback from people who call it rules-light. Maybe the best piece of info I can offer in light of your question is this: The game has classes, races, skills/histories, talents, reputations, inspirations, characteristics, gear, wealth levels, organizations/guilds, and fair bit more, all with plenty of options. With all that, it takes me about 15 minutes to make a fully-statted 20th level character. Of course, I am the designer, so take it for what you will - just trying to give you some info.

scourger

Explorer
Here's another recommendation for Savage Worlds. I think it's greatest strength is that is has enough complexity to keep the interested in the game-within-a-game of character definition & advancement while still keeping things simple enough for the GM to very easily run the game. You can try it free here:

http://www.peginc.com/Downloads/SWEX/TD06.pdf

There is a Fantasy Companion if you want to want more options for a fantasy game.

http://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2744

Here is a free supplement, Advanced Dungeons & Savages, for a more old school feel.

Dragonsfoot - Downloading file

There are lots of other free downloads at those sites, too.

Remove ads