Does a (Greater)Magic Weapon on Arrow AND Bow STACK?

Cyberzombie

Explorer
AGGEMAM, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

A masterwork bonus and an enhancement bonus ON A SINGLE ITEM do not stack.

A masterwork arrow and a +1 bow are SEPERATE ITEMS. Therefor, their bonuses *do* stack.

Also, there's the argument of logic. (Which never worked in 2e, but it should work in 3e.) If a masterwork arrow and a masterwork bow stack, then a masterwork arrow and a +1 bow should stack for the same reason.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Cyberzombie said:
AGGEMAM, I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

A masterwork bonus and an enhancement bonus ON A SINGLE ITEM do not stack.

A masterwork arrow and a +1 bow are SEPERATE ITEMS. Therefor, their bonuses *do* stack.

Also, there's the argument of logic. (Which never worked in 2e, but it should work in 3e.) If a masterwork arrow and a masterwork bow stack, then a masterwork arrow and a +1 bow should stack for the same reason.

Hey, rule it your way if you feel like it. I'm not saying it's wrong, per say, just that it is against word of the rules, maybe not the intent.

So until somebody asks the Sage what the intent of the rules are, I'll stay put.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
AGGEMAM said:
Hey, rule it your way if you feel like it. I'm not saying it's wrong, per say, just that it is against word of the rules, maybe not the intent.

So until somebody asks the Sage what the intent of the rules are, I'll stay put.

Ah, so you'd be Lawful & I'm Neutral. :D I always go with the *intent* of the rule, rather than the letter of it. I think that if the letter disagrees with the intent, they probably wrote it wrong.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Cyberzombie said:
Ah, so you'd be Lawful & I'm Neutral. :D I always go with the *intent* of the rule, rather than the letter of it. I think that if the letter disagrees with the intent, they probably wrote it wrong.

:D

Not always though, sometimes the actual word of the rules takes precedent over the intent.

If you want an example, please say so.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Ok, here goes.

Sean K. Reynolds, who contributed the awaken animal spell and in general terms all the things regarding animal companions and who is also a member of the Rules Council, intended it to work like the animal awakened remained an animal in every way, proven by the fact that he actually wrote so in Pool of Radiance:Attack on Myth Drannor.

However, since the MM says that an animal cannot have more than 2 points of Int, the word on the rule contradict this.

This was taken up by the Rules Council on mine and Caliban's request, and they issued both an official ruling, which goes by the word of the rule (an awakened animal becomes a magical beast), and an unofficial ruling, which goes by the intent of Sean K. Reynolds.

Another example (in the same category) is the Tressym, an animal in FRCS, had an Int of 12, but since the MM says an animal can only have Int 2 they errataed it to Int 2, but didn't errata the skill point it recieves from the higher Int. So it was intended to be an animal with Int 12, but it couldn't be that by the word of rules.

rrealm

First Post
Rowenstin said:
well, you´r right; masterwork is an unnamed bonus. I´ve not found anything saying explicitely that masterwork bonus is an enhancement bonus. But see PHB page 114, last sentence: "a masterwork bonus to attack does not stack with an enhancement bonus to attack" or last D&D FAQ, page 21 "Masterwork and enhancemento bonuses to attack don´t stack because they´re the same type of bonus..."

A masterwork's bonus is an enchantment bonus.
PHB 3.5 : page 122

Swiftbrook

First Post
rrealm said:
A masterwork's bonus is an enchantment bonus.
PHB 3.5 : page 122

Sorry but your reply is meaningless. Note the dates on this thread, they are all 2002. They are talking 3.0 not 3.5. Everything changed in 3.5 (for the worse IMHO).

-Swiftbrook

Last edited:

pbd

First Post
The one thinig I would add is the implication in the masterwork and enchantment bonusses not stacking is that they are for the SAME source. For instance a +1 sword has to be a masterwork weapon, but does not get the bonus for masterwork also. If an arrow is masterwork and the bow is +1 then you shold get a +2 to hit due to the two bonusses being from different sources.

Also, I thought bow enchantments did not count for damage. Has that changed?

ZoroZoroZ

First Post
I was under the impression that page 221 of the v3.5 Dungeon Master's Guide states clearly that enhancement bonuses do not stack. The 'to hit' and 'dmg' bonuses do not stack, however the qualities (holy, cold, fire, shocking, etc..) do stack.

If this was an earlier version and I missed that fact, my appologies.

Remove ads